Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stopping breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:39 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this
We decided to stop breastfeeding since my milk was not consistent. She is 3 months old. This hurts like a mother! Any advice?

Udpate: the last few days she has just been on formula and is doing well. She also seems to be less gassy which is a great thing. I have noticed she is a lot more clingy to me now, but that is fine because one day she will no longer wanna cuddle. She is also kinda sleeping through the night. She eats about eight and in asleep about nine. Then she will eat about four thirty then go back to sleep till eight thirty.

Me on the other hand.... My boobs are still very sore. I'm just pumping enough to relieve pressure. It's not so bad until she moves wrong and hits them. Hopefully they are back to normal soon.

Thanks for everyone's advice, support, and comments.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:11 AM

How did you know your milk is not consistent?  I am just curious since it can take a few months to get a steady supply and the baby nursing tons helps build it up more.

AbbeysMom2013
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Well I ebf. Been having a lot if issues the last few days. This I think will just be better for all of us. Since she is rolling its a lot harder to pump. It's just really painful stopping.
Ninjascreenname
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:15 AM
baby is at the huge three month growth spurt.

but giving up is up to you.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:32 AM
The best thing to do is wean slowly. Watch for infections.
SeymoreButts
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Hot press! Warm showers and message while you shower.

I stopped cold with both mine it took 3 days Then things got better
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I was going to mention the growth spurt too... Stopping is completely up to you, but I stopped BFing when my dd was 4 days old and regret it everyday. And getting up in the middle of the night to make bottles instead of BFing is a LOT harder than just sticking it out with BFing.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

AbbeysMom2013
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see it as giving up. I have been expressing milk after every feeding for three months. She is getting more active and I need to be there to play with her and help her learn. I have tried as much as I can. She is eating more than I can supply.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

We just weaned my daughter but she was a bit older then your little one. It didn't really hurt though so I am not much help. It's great you were able to nurse for as long as you did though!

AbbeysMom2013
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Thank you. I have had a hard time with making the decision. Lots of tears. But we were nursing for five min, eating a bottle, then pumping. So our feeding process took a long time. If she would simply nurse I would let her, but unfortunately it didn't work that way. Thank you for your supportive comments.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

We just weaned my daughter but she was a bit older then your little one. It didn't really hurt though so I am not much help. It's great you were able to nurse for as long as you did though!

wolfybaby
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM

3 months was when my supply evened out and i stopped having problems. i had clogged ducts, mastitis, "low supply" [really its just a growth spurt; she was eating enough].

but if you seriously think its the best thing for your daughter to give her formula.. go slowly. not only will that prevent you from getting infections, but it will give her a chance to actually wean from your milk and try to transfer to formula. 

i started supplementing my daughter with formula at around 2-3 months for some reasons and she would never eat it! even at that young of an age, she didnt like the taste of formula and would demand breast milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)