Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Questions about boxed hair dye

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 32 Replies
I am in need of a change. I really want to color my hair, but I can't afford a salon job.

I'm half Korean and half Italian with thin, dark brown hair. I don't want anything too drastic. I was thinking about going to an auburn shade. I'm just afraid that I will end up with fried hair. I don't want this to be temporary, I want permanent dye. Anyone have suggestions on brands and tips?
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
echoedsentiment
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Garnier Nutrisse is the brand I always use. It's fast, simple and hydrates your hair while dyeing it. It has excellent conditioner with it too and if you use the hair products via shampoo and conditioner by the same company it will help keep the hair color longer and wont fade it out as much. the hair products are a bit expensive so i usually get the 2 in 1 bottle..but its mostly like 5 bucks a bottle.
momwithtwins714
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I have learned from experience to go darker from a home dye box is ok, but going lighter seek a professional. Doing lighter yourself may cost more money in the long run :) garnier seems to work well though if you go with one
BabyRuca
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM
What's your natural color & what color do you dye it? You haven't had any issues about it feeling dried out afterwards?

Quoting echoedsentiment:

Garnier Nutrisse is the brand I always use. It's fast, simple and hydrates your hair while dyeing it. It has excellent conditioner with it too and if you use the hair products via shampoo and conditioner by the same company it will help keep the hair color longer and wont fade it out as much. the hair products are a bit expensive so i usually get the 2 in 1 bottle..but its mostly like 5 bucks a bottle.

BabyRuca
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I'm not really looking to go darker or lighter just redder if that makes sense... I have dark brown hair but I think auburn would be within the same shad if not a littler darker..

Quoting momwithtwins714:

I have learned from experience to go darker from a home dye box is ok, but going lighter seek a professional. Doing lighter yourself may cost more money in the long run :) garnier seems to work well though if you go with one

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I use Herbal Essance or Garnier Nutrise.

echoedsentiment
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My natural hair color is a really dark brown with natural rich red highlights. I go from a range of black, blue black, brown, red, almost to a blonde but not blonde. Never had a problem with my hair drying out with this product nor getting fried either.

CrystalYaris
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I get what you are saying. You just want to add a red tint to your natural color. I'm trying to remember which dye it was I used when I went with red. It made my hair feel amazing..

Quoting BabyRuca:

I'm not really looking to go darker or lighter just redder if that makes sense... I have dark brown hair but I think auburn would be within the same shad if not a littler darker..

Quoting momwithtwins714:

SteffM0501
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I graduated from cosmetology school in 2007 and to be honest, if you're going lighter you want to see a professional. If you put a lighter box color on top of dark hair, it won't change the color. You'll end up with dry hair that looks the same as before you colored it.

momwithtwins714
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM
You know because your hair is dark brown I don't know how well different hues for box colors will work unless its like an eggplant shade because that's a little darker. If there is a cosmetology school near you they open to the public and that's not nearly what the salons charge :) I am no professional but I have fried my hair in the past and now my natural pigment is lost

Quoting BabyRuca:

Quoting momwithtwins714:

CrystalYaris
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/garnier-nutrisse-ultra-color-nourishing-color-creme/ID=prod6015035-product

This is what I had. If you have dark hair naturally, it won't be as bright. It will have a red tint to it. I learned that because my roommate had dark brown hair and used what I didn't finish from the bottle. Mine turned out a little different that what is on the box because my hair was almost white from the bleach I used 5 months prior. I almost never got the red out. Red just wasn't my color. My roommate's hair turned out better! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)