Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I want to try and be healthy and eat the right food but it is so hard any ideas ?!?!?!

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I have been out of a 10 year relationship for 3 months and i kinda let my self go  but know that I am single I would like to change my life and start by making healthy choices so my daughter will make healthy choice and not just eat junk. I have been working out but when it comes to food I just am not sure I don't have a lot of money to buy fresh fruit and veggies all the time. Does anyone have any ideas of healthy food that is yummy and affordable? Thank you!!!!!!!!

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I find a lot of my healthy recipes from Pinterest.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Frozen fruits can be cheaper yet be just as healthy.  Buying seasonal produce is usually the least expensive way to buy it.  Cook at much food at home as you can from scratch so that you know exactly what is going into your body.  Drink more water and you can even add lemons/limes to it for flavoring.

echoedsentiment
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Start baking things instead of frying (if you do) replace beef with chicken and eat smaller portions. eat small snacks inbetween meals so that you wont feel so hungry and last but not least if you crave sugar, get some fruit juice that would come on WIC and make Popsicles out of it.
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Check farmer's markets for fresh produce, you'll often find it at a better price than at the grocery store.  But, frozen fruits/veggies are also a good choice and often cheaper than fresh.

Rach0307
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I buy a lot of frozen fruits and veggies. They don't have added crap (like canned) and are cheap. Also, keep in mind that boxed stuff and junkfood have additives that make you want to eat more and don't satisfy hunger the way raw veggies do, so fresh foods are cheaper in the long run. As for meat, beef is way more expensive than chicken and lean pork cuts. Try cutting out starches, too. When you make big meals, separate portions and freeze for those nights when fast food seems easier and more appealing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Cooking rather than eating out or eating convenience foods helps control quality, sodium, and fat in your foods. Buying veggies in bulk in season, parboiling, and freezing them will allow you to have frozen veggies without the added salt and there is less waste.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Organicmommy03
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I lost over 20 pounds in 2 monthsby eating organic. And I rarelywork out and Im back in size 3! CUT out the preservatives/Msg/aspertame. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Don't eat heavy meals past 7:30. Thatsa good start :)
Goddesswillow
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

buy a cook book that deals with cooking vegetables, they are the cheapest things you can buy thats healthy, and fruit. you can make lots of great meals without to much money.

ashesleigh
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Try frozen or look for sales on fresh and cook then freeze. i add onions and green peppers to almost everything i can. I ran out and found out the kids did notice and didnt like the spaghetto.as much.
Drea123456789
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for all the ideas !!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)