Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

1 Easy (Just-in-Case) Trick That Will Help Moms Find Lost Kids

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

1 Easy (Just-in-Case) Trick That Will Help Moms Find Lost Kids

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

handsLosing a child is every parent's nightmare. The thought of looking away for a split-second and then turning around and not seeing your child is almost too much for any mother or father to even talk about. But ... if, god forbid, it did happen, do you know what you'd do? Do you have a plan in order? Something that will make finding them as easy and painless as possible?

Hopefully, none of us will ever, ever have to deal with a horrific situation like this, but one mom on Reddit came up with a really good idea for helping find your kid if he or she were ever to get lost.

Take a full-body photo of your kid(s) right before you leave to go somewhere with a big crowd (the beach, an amusement park, etc.). This way, if they get lost, you can show their photo to people around you, and they'll know exactly what to look for, down to the outfit they're wearing. Pretty smart.

Hopefully, this is something none of us will ever need to use, but parents, please take note, and please, please pass along. It may seem obvious after reading it, but it's definitely not something everyone would think to do. I know I didn't.

Thanks for the tip, Redditor.

What things do you do to prevent your child from getting lost?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

That is one thing that always makes me antsy. I always make sure they are in a cart when we go to the store, and we always hold hands when out.

coreynlala
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

You can also order temporary tattoos with phone numbers on them for when you go to amusment parks and places as well. I have never looked that up but I did use pen and write it where the adulds could find it.

TempestRayne
by Donna on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM

You know, this is not new news. And, infact, a lot of people who abduct children know this. it isn't hard to shave a child's head and change their clothes. It is good for children who are just lost though.

JocelynMoods
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thank you. We were at the zoo one day and I saw a little girl, maybe two or three, looking around with a worried look on har face. My heart fell to the floor.  Luckily she hadn't gotten too far from her parents, I noticed them looking around too and waved them over.

JoanahLee
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I used to manage a section of a summer camp, and we took the kids out for field trips often.  I always took a shot of each kid before they got on the bus just in case someone got separated.   

Only needed it once, and it was when a 13 year old tried to slip away from the group and leave the museum without us.  Little snot even took his camp t shirt off, and was headed out the front door, but Id realized he was missing before that and had already shown his picture to the guard at the front gate and he stopped him for us.  

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Another tip, if you have kids close in age, dress them alike. My girls are 18mos apart and whenever we go to the zoo or something like that, I dress them alike. It's easier to spot them quickly. As very little kids, I would have them dressed identical, right down to the same color socks and hair accessories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)