Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A judge taking away parental rights??? Help!!!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
My SO wants to adopt my boys when we get married. The problem is my ex- he is not involded in their life even though he lives 2 miles away. He doesnt see them doesnt talk or call them. He hasnt ever held a job, is thousands behind in CS. He has no license lives with his parents, has been addicted to drugs, has been to rehab and a mental facility for a month. And has been in and out of jail several times.. But especially this yr. he also has multiple warrents out for his arrest. He has never filed for visitation or custody. I have full and sole physical and legal custody of the boys, always have.

Now me and SO have a home that we own, 2 cars .. He has a great job that pays very well and has been at this company for 7yrs. Were a great team, he loves the boys and they love him- they actually think he is their dad.

The problem is the ex will not sign over his rights, why? I dont know since clearly he doesnt want anything to do with them. We would like to get a lawyer and take him to court to fight for his rights. I know this is hard to do and i know that me and SO will need to be married before a judge would ever allow him to adopt.

My question is does anyone have any experience with this?? Or any advice.. I know it will be a long process- i just wan to make sure we come at it 2000%
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

i think after a certain amount of time abandonment can be claimed and rights then are easier taken away.   That means you can not contact him either.   Talk to a lawyer though for advice in your area.

BlessedAgain3
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I have done research, in michigan it would be on grounds of abondment but it needs to be 2yrs of non payment and not constantly seeing the kids. I have proof of 2yrs on some stuff but not all. Im wondering if i should wait it out a full 2 yrs on everything ... I dont want to come with all my evidence and show hes unfit but since it hasnt been a full 2 yrs they throw out the case
BlessedAgain3
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Bump
krazene
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM
My dh adopted my 2 kids bc ex was exactly the same as yours.
A lawyer will help you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by Shiree on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Talk to a lawyer and wait the two years if you have to it will be worth it in the end
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM

No advice but best of luck to you.

BlessedAgain3
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)