Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

moms who brought their kids to delivery of a sibling

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

What was your expierence?? my ds is 6, and he realllly wants to be there when his brother is born. I'd would like to hear to from moms who've brought siblings along. 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Freckles4u
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Ooo I'd like to hear about this as well. We are starting to ttc for our second in a few months. My son will be close to 3 if it takes right away when I would have the other. I don't want him in the delivery room because of being so young but other than my husband and I, I want him to be the first person to see his brother/sister.
Pagan_Mommy84
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Hmm...wow, this is such an interesting topic!  I've heard of other people allowing their children in the room while siblings are born, but I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that myself.  Buuut...I'll try and give you my views on that.  My son's are 10, and they are both absolutly disguisted that they came out of my ... as they call it ... "nasty place" lol.  So, since they are so grosed out and not accepting of the idea, I think that it would be a bad idea for my son's to be in there when or if I gave birth again.  However, there's a lot of children that have different views on that.  Since your child is so young, I would talk to him about it when it gets close to delivery.  The only thing that would concern me...is if there was a problem during the pregnacy and a little one ended up seeing that.  So I honestly think it depends on both you, the daddy, and your baby.  See what works for all of you, have a family meeting kind of thing.  Turn to the people closest to you ... mother, sister, whomever.  See what they have to say, but in the end, do what you and your family is comfortable with :)

coupon_ash_back
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I haven't been there, but for this baby both siblings will be there for the home birth. They have been active in this pregnancy understand everything about it (as much as they can for their ages) and have seen birth shows. They love it all, I just don't allow them to see the scary parts on tv if it happens in real life then obviously they will be with my mom. But I think it's important to involve siblings, and my midwife thinks so too and encourages it.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I brought my 17 month old but only because we had no sitter.Bump for you

Blooming_Lotus
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I have four children and the older one's were present for all their siblings births. It was a rather uneventful experience. My DH attended the kids when they needed something and I just did my thing. The only issue that arose was during the birth of my 3rd daughter when I had a serious PPH and needed to be transfered to the hospital (it was a home birth). My husband just explained that I was bleeding more than normal and that the EMT's were taking me to the hospital to stop the bleeding and that they just needed to get dressed and that they are going to visit me. The kids were totally fine. I think the main focus should just be to stay calm, no matter what. If the adults are calm, the children will feel secure ime.
kamaira
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

My thirteen yr old little sister and four year old nephew was around. The hospital policy didn't allow minors to be there during the delivery but they were actually helpful during the labor process they kept me laughing. They got to help with her first bath and diaper they were so amazed. it was pretty cool

ashesleigh
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM
My boys are 12 10 9 and 5. During the actual delivery they wont be in the room. up until that time they can be in there. my cousin told me at 12 when she was in there for her sisters birth it scared her. she didnt fully understand what was going on and see her sister like that will always be there. she laughs now and said it was probably the best way to keep her from vbeing sexually active until she was married. good luck.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Hell no.
mama_pink_tink
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Thanks for your imput ladies! my ds has been overly active in this pregnancy. he's been to all but 3 dr appointments thus far (30 weeks friday). He understands almost everything. my dr's and i have made everything understandable for a 5/6yr old. He's watched videos, including his own birth, and ive been continually asking if he wants to be there. with also giving him instructions with what he is and isnt ok to do during this time

JennyG413
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 9 and my daughter is five. Our hospital allows minors as long as there is an adult to take them out if something goes wrong. This is interesting topic cuz I would like to know as well. My son was there for my daughter but he was about 3 yrs old. And didn't see a whole lot cuz he was kinda hidden in backround. This time he wants to be all up in the mix since this is the last baby we decided to have. I'm excited and looking forward to what's guna happen..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)