Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I think it should be required!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 23 Replies
3 moms liked this
That is : drug testing if you choose to go on government assistance. It's required for most jobs so why not for the people receiving money from the government. I also think that government assistance should be a interest free loan. I think it would deter a lot of the people who are on it just cause they can be from choosing to go on it in the first place. And anyone who has more kids while on it should not be given anything more than what they were receiving for the one child. Just saying!!!
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashesleigh
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. if you can buy drugs then you should take the drug money feed your kids or grt them insurance or idk get off the drugs and find a job. im against drug use in the first place especially by parents. if its not legal why risk losing your kids doing it.
FarinsMommy
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

i agree on the drug usage but my bf is on ssi because he has diterating disks in his back and cant work so its whats helping us pay rent we also get food stamps but again thats till i find a day job so its not bad if the people on it need it

Momy2beAUG.2009
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I agree I think it "could be" and is a good program that is needed in certain circumstances but there is too many flaws in it currently. It's bringing our country down.

Quoting FarinsMommy:

i agree on the drug usage but my bf is on ssi because he has diterating disks in his back and cant work so its whats helping us pay rent we also get food stamps but again thats till i find a day job so its not bad if the people on it need it

Msivrath
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Agreed......!

rhiannonaisling
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Speaking as someone who, as a school employee (I am an instructional aide and bring home about 15000 a year and nothing in the summers) does not make enough to feed my three kids (while my husband was out of work and in school), I agree that drug testing should be mandatory and that (minimum) alcohol and no tobacco should be purchasable and I am only iffy on the alcohol because it can be used to cook as well (which is its main use in my house). And even with this and my sons disability ssi (he is autistic and never expected to be able to work) we ate an extremely rationed diet and often had to be further subsidized by my parents which led over 4.5 years to over $5000 of debt to my mother (since she had to use a credit card to help us or she wouldn't ask for it back).

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I absolutely agree.
littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Both dh & I work in the medical fieldect. But we both list jobs. It's there for those who need it. But the social workers allow of abusers to stay on it. As they do not completely complete paper work correctly.
You cant buy non food items with fs, but with cash aide u can get whatever u want. It's cash.
I do agree with testing ect. In ca if u have another kids before with in 9 months of ur application u can get help but it'd limited to medical only. No food or cash benefits.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree but that's okay.

RheaF
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20130326-editorial-no-drug-tests-for-welfare-texas-should-heed-floridas-lesson.ece

It has been proven that drug testing like this would only cost the state more, than it saves. I think many people have a very warped view of the majority of welfare/assistance recipients. The look of poverty in America has changed. It is no longer the druggie on the corner, or the girl who can't keep her legs closed. It is the family working 3-4 jobs trying to make ends meet. The single parent who can't catch a break. Jobs are not just opening up out there. DH spent a year unemployed after a lay off. He has a BA in Biology and 14 years experience in a poultry processing plant where he worked as a QA manager. However, none of that mattered when he tried to find work. Thankfully, he was given a chance and his current employer(appliance repair) paid for his schooling. Still, for 15 months we received medicaid, and FS. We were both doing odd jobs, but neither could find permenant work that would cut it.

Another thing to consider before passing judgment, one of the jobs DH looked into was Law enforcment. Our local PD has someone on staff to walk new hires through the process of applying for food stamps. We are talking Cops and their families here! Should they go get tubes tied cause they need a little extra help?

We are still digging out, and pay now for state health care for the kids, but being on assistance for that year, and seeing the other side of things was really humbling, and really eye opening. All I have to say, is people who have never needed the help, should be thankful, and not so quick to judge.

Yeah, there are those who abuse the system, and they are annoying, but there are so many more out there who don't want to be on it, but honestly need the help.

Momy2beAUG.2009
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Do I think cops should be on welfare. Definitely not. But I also believe they should be paid more for what they do and more money should be put into schools also. In my state, state employees get new buildings all the time where schools are ages old. So I think to make the system work completely and to its best ability things need to change. And although drug testing might cost more up front I think it would end up saving more money than it costs.

Quoting RheaF:

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20130326-editorial-no-drug-tests-for-welfare-texas-should-heed-floridas-lesson.ece

It has been proven that drug testing like this would only cost the state more, than it saves. I think many people have a very warped view of the majority of welfare/assistance recipients. The look of poverty in America has changed. It is no longer the druggie on the corner, or the girl who can't keep her legs closed. It is the family working 3-4 jobs trying to make ends meet. The single parent who can't catch a break. Jobs are not just opening up out there. DH spent a year unemployed after a lay off. He has a BA in Biology and 14 years experience in a poultry processing plant where he worked as a QA manager. However, none of that mattered when he tried to find work. Thankfully, he was given a chance and his current employer(appliance repair) paid for his schooling. Still, for 15 months we received medicaid, and FS. We were both doing odd jobs, but neither could find permenant work that would cut it.

Another thing to consider before passing judgment, one of the jobs DH looked into was Law enforcment. Our local PD has someone on staff to walk new hires through the process of applying for food stamps. We are talking Cops and their families here! Should they go get tubes tied cause they need a little extra help?

We are still digging out, and pay now for state health care for the kids, but being on assistance for that year, and seeing the other side of things was really humbling, and really eye opening. All I have to say, is people who have never needed the help, should be thankful, and not so quick to judge.

Yeah, there are those who abuse the system, and they are annoying, but there are so many more out there who don't want to be on it, but honestly need the help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN