Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

YOUR Expectations.....

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

Daycare;

Half or full day - What are your expectations from your daycare? What makes you say, YES, I want my child to be here.

Do u expect meals at daycare?

What time would suit u for the daycare to open and close?

What fees are u paying for YOUR expectation(s)?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM

If I needed daycare, I wouldn't expect meals at daycare but if they were offered I would expect the daycare fees to be a little higher if I chose to have them eat there. I would also expect meals to be healthy, not crap like ramen noodles and boxed mac and cheese.

Opening at 5 or 5:30 am and closing at 6 or 6:30 pm would work best for me as when I worked outside the home I normally worked 6-2 but could also work 8-4 or 9-5, it varied.

I have no idea for fees, I have never paid daycare fees.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never put my kids in daycare so I am not sure.

Msivrath
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Thanks for your input Yeah I agree noodles???!! How much are u prepared to pay though?
Quoting k9l1c5:

If I needed daycare, I wouldn't expect meals at daycare but if they were offered I would expect the daycare fees to be a little higher if I chose to have them eat there. I would also expect meals to be healthy, not crap like ramen noodles and boxed mac and cheese.

Opening at 5 or 5:30 am and closing at 6 or 6:30 pm would work best for me as when I worked outside the home I normally worked 6-2 but could also work 8-4 or 9-5, it varied.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

You're welcome and I really have no idea, have never even looked into daycare because I'm a stay at home mom.

Quoting Msivrath:

Thanks for your input Yeah I agree noodles???!! How much are u prepared to pay though?
Quoting k9l1c5:

caitieV
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel that daycare should offer both half and full day care. I would expect meals, but I agree, you need to pay more for meals. Perhaps a daycare with the option to pack a lunch and snacks, or pay for healthy meals would be nice. I work 8:30 to 4:30, so 8-5 would be my perfect time. I don't think I will be using daycare because I feel that family involvement is important. My family agrees. But if I did, the social interaction, educational play, exercise, healthy food options, and a report if my child misbehaved would all be important to me. I would expect care givers to have clearances, background checks, first aid/CPR training, and at least one person with a degree pertaining to early childhood development. I would also expect a healthy care-giver/ child ratio. As far as price: I believe that in order to obtain great child care, you need to pay well.
JessicaM85
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I have 4 kids. When my kids did go to daycare I choose a Preschool/Daycare combo. This meant that even the little kids were introduced to the same material as the kids who needed more work entering into kindergarten soon.

She had a science section, dress up section, her own personal set of books that she changed out per season so there was always something new. She had reading time, play times, nap times and her drop off and pick up were 7am- 6pm.

She made them breakfast, lunch and dinner if needed and it was all things she would feed her own family. She had all the kids do projects for each subject they were learning about. The kids as oung as 1 were even invloved, of course they dont do much other then scribble but she still showed them and made them apart of it. My daughter learned how to read, know songs, get down her whole alphabet and numbers to 50 before she went into kindergarten. The teacher only take 2 to 2 1/2 hrs a day of work stuff, then all the playing is geared around colors, shapes and sensory........

I paid $600 a child..... Thats the basic rate for a certified person. She ran it out of her home and he whole garage was retro fitted to become a school and her backyard was a childs dream.

You can find people in your area who will charge less but dont expect all that from them.

Chunkymunkey922
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Dd goes to an in home licensed dc. I was sold on the first visit because dd was 13 mos old we went in and I sat down and dd took off playing like she belonged there. She has a HUGE fenced in totally shaded yard with swings and sandboxes and three club houses. Not to mention tricycles (they have a "gas station") and push toys. Inside they have a really big room full of toys. And none of it is electronic stuff its all hands on and imagination.
For babies you need to bring diapers and formula or pumped milk. Thats it unless you wwnt something specific. All kids need tylenol or somethibf there and sunscreen and clothes. She charges 18$ a day for up to 10 hours. Normal operating hours are 630-5 but I think she takes a few kids in at 5 for an extra cost. Ahe feeds breakfast lunch and snacks. Dd has been there for almost three years now and she still loves it. Very rarely do I go in and find the kids infront of the tv. Theyre usually outside if its nice. They also do a few hours of class type activity a day.
ashesleigh
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
in my area typically you bring diapers and formula for babies and they provided breakfasr lunch and snacks.typically i worked from 8-6 so i paid extra for the hour and half extra. it varried from 110 a week to 210 depending on how many hours over 45 i needed. i have the oppertunity to be a sahm so im taking advantage of it. when i baby sit i charge ten a day or 100 a week plus diapers. i keep various sizes just in case but if they want me to provide diapers i charge an extra fifteen a week and i feed them what my kids and i eat.
Msivrath
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Thank u for sharing :)

Quoting JessicaM85:

I have 4 kids. When my kids did go to daycare I choose a Preschool/Daycare combo. This meant that even the little kids were introduced to the same material as the kids who needed more work entering into kindergarten soon.

She had a science section, dress up section, her own personal set of books that she changed out per season so there was always something new. She had reading time, play times, nap times and her drop off and pick up were 7am- 6pm.

She made them breakfast, lunch and dinner if needed and it was all things she would feed her own family. She had all the kids do projects for each subject they were learning about. The kids as oung as 1 were even invloved, of course they dont do much other then scribble but she still showed them and made them apart of it. My daughter learned how to read, know songs, get down her whole alphabet and numbers to 50 before she went into kindergarten. The teacher only take 2 to 2 1/2 hrs a day of work stuff, then all the playing is geared around colors, shapes and sensory........

I paid $600 a child..... Thats the basic rate for a certified person. She ran it out of her home and he whole garage was retro fitted to become a school and her backyard was a childs dream.

You can find people in your area who will charge less but dont expect all that from them.

peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I think a day care center should be open from 7-7, this way parents can get to and from work without worrying about coming late, or having to get to work late.  I dont understand why they close at 6, many peope dont get out of work until 6.  I think it should be available for both all day and 1/2 day, but if they dont have enough for both, priority would be given to all day children. I would want a place that has cameras on that I can watch from my computer.  This is not just because I want to check up, but also so I can see my child interacting with others, and I would miss her and want to see her on my phone or computer screen.  Bathrooms should be child sized and spotless at all times.  Age divisions should be appropriate.  I would expect meals for my child that are hot and nutritious.  Not just hot dogs or mac and cheese, but healthy food and drink.  Teachers should all be vetted and bonded.  Each child should have a cubby for their personal belongings.  There should be an emergency number you can call if you are going to be late. I would want updates once a week for older children and for babies every day-what they ate, how many diapers, how long they slept.  I know this will never happen, but I would like a nurse, like they have in school so emergencies could be handled quickly.  Rooms children will be in should be clean, free of clutter, and child proofed.  Ok, thats seems to be alot but when it involves are precious little ones I want it all.  Not sure how much it should cost.  My baby is not in child care yet and I dont go back to work for another year.  I am a 2nd grade teacher so I am thinking of what I would want my students room to be like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)