Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

what would you do?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 7 Replies
I've been working as a customer service associate and book keeper at a grocery store for two years. I like my job and im good at it, I also like the people i work with and my boss. The only thing i don't like is having to work until 9 and 10 oclock at night. I have four kids and i want to be able to put them to bed at night. When i work late they have to stay at my moms and when they are in school i don't see them much. I have an interview for a job that i would never have to work past 7 oclock and i would have most weekends off. I really want to take the new job but i don't want to quit my current job. what should i do?
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM

That's a toughie.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Is there a way to switch around your schedule at the current job so you could work both? Definitely don't quit your job until you know you are offered the one you are interviewing for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Hmm, I guess if I was in that situation I'd sit down and make a list of pros and cons of each job and then decide based on what you come up with.  That's a hard choice to make though :(

TempestRayne
by Donna on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Quit. You may like your job but I would hope you like your kids better.

Miss5ft4
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

That's a tough one.

I'm a home health nurse, and there are times I am still doing patient visits until 9 or 10 at night. I love my job, and my patients or else I would have found another gig somewhere.....luckily this year, my schedule will be a little more flexible.

Do what you gotta do mama!

AnnieChristian
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Have you tried to change your schedule at your current job? Maybe if you told them honestly that you were considering a new job because of the late hours at this job, and if they value you as a good employee, they would accommodate you so they would not lose you.

If I were in your situation and the current job was not able to change my schedule so I could be able up get off early enough to put my kids to bed at night, I would interview for the new job, put a starting date of 2 weeks on my application then put in my 2 weeks at the current job. They will understand, it is very important to be able to be there for your kids. I have passed up "dream jobs" because I knew they would not allow me much quality time with my children and I would have to depend on others to keep them regularly.
Msivrath
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM

If u are offered the new one go for it. U have to put kids first and them not seeing u is tough.

OR

Speak to the boss u like? Ask him if u could do some of the work at home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)