Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you get dirty looks when you're out with your kids?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 58 Replies

I was with my cousin this weekend and her 1yo son. She was dressed nice, had her hair pulled back in a cute pony with a curled tail, and was even wearing makeup. Her son was dressed well, clean, and happy, so it wasn't that, either. She turned to me and asked me why people were giving her dirty looks and I honestly couldn't tell her, but it occurs to me now it could be because she's 22 but looks like she's 15 - she's not very tall and she's really petite.

Do you ever get dirty looks from people when you're out with your kids? Does it seem like maybe they're wrongly judging you for being a young mom?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I don't get any looks when I go out with her, but I think I look older than I am.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I usually get looks from people when I'm out with dd. it could be the pink hair and tats, and maybe the fact that I am a young mother and look even younger than I am. I had my dd when I was 17. She is 9 now, but I am constantly asked if she is my little sister. but I am always dressed nice, and I make sure my dd is dressed nicely, as well. I guess the looks don't bother me at all. Most people are just curious, and the ones that are ballsy enough to make rude comments get an earful from me! ;)
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I generally don't get looks from people. I look young for my age and have 2 kids under 3, but now that I'm 27 I'm finally starting to not look like a teenager.

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

More so now that I am pregnant with a toddler as well. I am 23 but look young..2 years ago I got id'd for a rated R movie. I was not amused at the guy selling the tickets to say the least lol.

MistyMoo
by Amber on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
No, but people are surprised that I have 2 kids an one on the way.
2ArfarasMom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I don't think so but I don't really pay much attention either
Courtney610
by Courtney on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Not that I pay attention to....
beco8627
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Oh I get looks all the time, but mostly because I'm a babysitter and tend to be out and about with 5-6 kids...even when I have to run to the grocery store real quick. I tend to have a good hand on all my kids, so I think that people mostly look because either A) they're surprised that all 5-6 kids listen as soon as I shout "1!" Or they are being good in general; or B) they're wondering if all the kids are mine and if so I must be one of those "easy women," because I take care of a black 1 yr old boy, a white 3 yr old little girl, have a white 3 yr old boy of my own, my white 5 yr old boy, take care of a black 7 yr old girl and another white 7 yr old girl. "Daaaaamn girl, dems a lota baby daddies!" Hahahaha!
saraadria
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Unrelated, I found the "was even wearing makeup" part funny.

The ponytail thing may have made her look a lot younger though.  My daughter and I are 19 years apart and whenever I'd put my hair up when she was a baby, I was told what a great babysitter I was by strangers.......

rhiannonaisling
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM

It used to happen way more than it does now, though I still get more than my fair share and it is and always was worse when I am not with my husband (people assume, despite my wedding ring, that I am a young single mom of two preteens and a teenager). But despite being in my late twenties I can still pass for 20 and when I first met my husband I was still getting stopped by new security (I work ata high school) because they thought I was a student out of class without a pass. I am also really clean cut, no odd hair colors, no tats, no makeup, hair always up and very modest clothes...so definitely no reason other than the kids...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)