Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

HAND ME DOWNS ?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Where did MOST your baby stuff/clothes come from?

Options:

HAND ME DOWNS

WE BOUGHT IT ALL NEW

BABY SHOWER OR GIFTS

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

So last night we got some more baby hand me downs... & it made me think about all the stuff we have had given to us in under a 2 year period... & this is all like BRAND NEW barely used stuff. (alot with tags still on it.)   carters, juicy couture, ralph lauren...

3 swings

2 bouncers

bassinet

3 exersaucers

jenny jump

play mats

2 play pens

2 pottys

bumbo

30+ garbage bags full of baby clothes newborn-2t

2 large boxes of toys/ stuffed animals

battery powered little car

sippys/ bottles/pacifers

I had a small baby shower when I was pregnant with my first baby but didnt have a lot of BIG stuff bought for me. That was mostly diapers,(only lasted the 1st 6 months) wipeys, clothes and smaller baby stuff you need.

We did however have to buy:

crib/change table

all the carseats

dresser & tons of baby hangers.

SO MY QUESTION IS:

Have you had tons of hand me downs like this? Had to buy most everything you own or got it through your baby shower?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by Donna on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Mostly hand me downs.
erin708
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
My ODD was the first girl in the family and the first for any of my friends. So she got all new stuff from my shower. My niece is the third girl and has gotten all of my stuff and clothes my girls outgrew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
We bought almost everything brand new.
tabby21
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

well with the bouncer, jumper, high chair, carseat combo, and pack and play we got from baby shower and the changing table and some clothes came from hand me downs! with this baby if it is a boy will be using some of peanuts clothes that he no longer fits in.. but peanut and new baby might share clothes because some clothes peanut can wear 6-9 months or even 3-6 mnths....nothing wrong with hand me downs :)

Pregnancy Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Goth_mom13
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

we bought all of it new,i wouldnt mind hand me downs next time i get pregnant though

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
My daughter is the first girl born on her dads side for more than 50 years and the first granddaughter on my side so she is spoiled rotten and she gets everything brand new.

My son was the first born grandchild so he got everything pretty much new too.

Though with both of them, I was given a ton of hand me down clothes which came in super handy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

With my oldest I got some hand me downs, and a lot at my baby shower, that was just over 11 yrs ago.

My 2nd dd was born when my oldest was 6 yrs old, and I just sold all her baby stuff, lol so I bought everything myself, but it was not all bought new, most of it was bought used.

I got ride of everything (almost everything) when I had my 3rd dd, who is now 18.5 months old. I bought everything this time around pretty much new, but also had some stuff bought new for her from family. Bt I also buy a lot of stuff second hand. All her Christmas gifts and birthday gifts were second hand last year.

Well not all but the majority of them were. lol

My girls are too far apart to keep stuff, they are 11 and 5 and 18.5 months old. lol

MrsLadyDae
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

The twins were everyone's first grand kids so the grandparents showed out! I don't think we had to buy anything but milk and diapers for the first year! As they got older, though, people gave me stuff and I gladly accepted. I don't see a problem with Hand Me Downs. Babies are bearly in the outfits any how. The only thing you have to watch for is poop and milk stains.

They are, now at an age where we can't get hand me downs or shop thrift.. Kids are just too darn hard on their clothes between 6-10 IMO. I'd never give my son's jeans to anyone.. They go straight to the trash when we are done.

cupcake_mom
by KT on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

i got tons of hand me downs and i was just as thankful. we also bought a lot from yard sales and craigslist.com. i have just now started to HAVE TO buy my oldest clothes, she will be 7 in nov. and most of her stuff is new since you can hardly find good clothes with no holes for 6 and up since they play so hard in them at that age.

catrig
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have only bought a handful of things for my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)