Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Newly pregnant.

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 14 Replies

I just found out I'm pregnant, and it's a bit of a shock to both me and my boyfriend. I never thought I'd be pregnant at 21, but I tried to switch from hormonal birth control to the sponge and I guess we were the lucky "1 in 12 couples" statistic. I'm keeping the baby, there is no question about that but I need some advice as to how to cope with this utterly life changing event. I'm terrified that I'm going to mess up and that I wont be able to support my child the way I want to. I'll be wrapping up my senior year of college by the time I give birth, but I would like to connect with other yong mothers to get some sort of support so I don't have to go through this blindly.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrztina
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

First off congratulations on your pregnancy (whether it was unintentional or not) its still a blessing. Secondly, do not fret, I was pregnant with my first daughter at 21 too and I was in my freshman year of college(took some time off after h.s). I know its hard and can be a very scary situation to find yourself in being that you will be a new mom and don't know what to expect of anything. It was very scary for me too however 2 children later, 27 going on 28 and married to my children's father I can tell you that you just never know where life will lead you once you become a mommy. You would be surprised at how something that can seem so negetive and unexpected could change your life for the positive and a blessing in disguise. My advice is to stay in school, definately have your baby and hold on tight for the journey. It will be long and tough at times yet fun,exciting and the best thing that ever happened to you at the same time. You will be fine hun :) Take it from a chick whose been through it all.

TempestRayne
by Donna on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Gratz on the baby, and don't worry. Your biggest rules.are.going to be cuddle a lot, feed frequently, always burp halfway through feeding, and change.diapers.every couples.of hours or so (more.often as necessary). The rest, you will have to figure out on your own. Just like the rest.of us. Lol.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats. And trust me I felt the same way with my baby. It is normal and you will be a wonderful mom. 

Msivrath
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Aw honey, 21 is young, but I was 22 when I had son, so I cant talk. I wish u everything of the best. There is no course in parenting BUT great advise (and u choose which to follow) from friends and family helps. Is ur mum available to help?

xxx

pandpluseminus4
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

My step mother is, and she's been amazing, but I've decided not to tell anyone else, like his immediate family or my father and biological mother until the risk of miscarriage is drastically reduced.

And as amazing as she is, she never had children of her own, nevermind so young.  

LuvsHopesDreams
by Lindsey on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I found out I was pregnant at 19 and had my son when I was 20. Not only that, but my boyfriend took off when he found out. I was so scared and had some of the same questions as you. Fortunately, my mom was a big help and got me through it. Just take it a day at a time, and you'll make it. BTW, I'm now married to a wonderful man, we bought a house (a fixer-upper), and am expecting at the end of November. You'll be okay. Good luck!
pandpluseminus4
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Congratulations on the second! And thank you for replying, this is what I really needed, to see that wonderful women have done it successfully to give me hope that I can as well.

LuvsHopesDreams
by Lindsey on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Thanks! And yes you can! ;)

Quoting pandpluseminus4:

Congratulations on the second! And thank you for replying, this is what I really needed, to see that wonderful women have done it successfully to give me hope that I can as well.

LindsLewis86
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Hey there first off congrats! As a newly preggers first time mom I am in the same boat of scared, shocked and excited! Secondly I am sure like the responses I've gotten from this site, you'll have great support on here! If you ever have any questions or just need to talk, feel free to add me!

pandpluseminus4
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I've told most of my immediate family as well as his and they have been amazingly supportive. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions, (hormones mixed with quitting my anxiety meds as soon as I found out) has made for a rough time. But I appreciate the support I've gotten from all you ladies and my shock and fear has been movinig more and more to excitement. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)