Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switching from bottle to sippy cup opinions?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is now 10 monthes old and he likes to chew and bite on the nipples of his bottles so it is definately time to switch to the sippy cup. I have seen the training sippy cups that have the silicone spout that is supposed to get them used to drinking out of a sippy cup but what I was wondering is if anyone has had any experience with them. My thoughts are that hes probly just gonna chew on it just like the bottle. But I have tried the regular hard plastic cups and he couldnt figure it out. So i need opinnions what should I do?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We started out with the silicone NUK brand sippy cups. I never hd an issue with bitting the nipples though so here is a bump.

DestiniS
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I'm in the same bind. My son is 10 months and he doesnt fully use a sippy cup. He only likes it sometime and only when it has juice in it.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

hmm I would just try the silcone cups till he can learn how to drink from the others. If you see him biting just take it away. :) But you could also start teaching him how to drink from a regular cup. My daughter learned pretty fast.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

My son is 10 months too... He would throw the sippy cups because he hated them. But now we are good... He is still is on the silicone spouts... But yay to no bottles... And we try the hard spouts... sometimes we have success. Good luck!

tabby21
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

at first my son used to silcone cups until he was 8 months and then we switched to the hard cups because he kept chewing big holes in the silicone and it was leaking everywhere lol good luck getting him to a sippy!

Pregnancy Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I started with the nuk silicone ones at 3 months old, then by 4 months she was on a straw cup. She was 100% off the bottle by 10 months old. lol

My older girls were the exact same. I also really like the sassy 360 cups, they have no spout and promote open rim cups, that could be an option too at that age. DD was about 5-6 months when I bouth those cups and loved them.

MixtlisMomme
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I started with the NUK ones they never spilled.. And I did it cold turkey lol just threw those dam bottles in the trash! Good luck!

Quoting jacobsmommy1020:

My son is now 10 monthes old and he likes to chew and bite on the nipples of his bottles so it is definately time to switch to the sippy cup. I have seen the training sippy cups that have the silicone spout that is supposed to get them used to drinking out of a sippy cup but what I was wondering is if anyone has had any experience with them. My thoughts are that hes probly just gonna chew on it just like the bottle. But I have tried the regular hard plastic cups and he couldnt figure it out. So i need opinnions what should I do?

JoanahLee
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM

We skiped sippy cups with the last kid.  As soon as he was done with the bottle we just started giving him the bottle with no top on to use as an open cup.  After he got the hang of it we started using a hard spout sippy cup only for water and only in the car.  The rest of the time he could come into the kitchen, and drink from his open cup, put it back on the chair (too short for the table lol) and come back when he wanted more. 

Chelsey191
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I put a tiny bit of juice, not watered down in a sippy cup for ds. Before I put the lid on I let him have a taste like a normal cup. Then I put the lid on and gave it to him. Since he had never had full flavour juice before he really liked it and he was determined to figure out the sippy and he did. I also refused to put anything other then formula in his bottle. Juice, water, milk went in a sippy.
jacobsmommy1020
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM
That must of been a lot of spilled drinks in the beginning lol

Quoting JoanahLee:

We skiped sippy cups with the last kid.  As soon as he was done with the bottle we just started giving him the bottle with no top on to use as an open cup.  After he got the hang of it we started using a hard spout sippy cup only for water and only in the car.  The rest of the time he could come into the kitchen, and drink from his open cup, put it back on the chair (too short for the table lol) and come back when he wanted more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)