Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

young kids and tv ?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you guys let your young children watch tv ?

In the mornings while I'm finishing up homework or doing some housework I'll let my little man watch a movie (hes 9 months) and I always feel bad putting him in front of a tv but I need a few min to get things done.

Btw.. he doesnt watch just anything.. usually a disney movie, or a leap frog movie, this morning he watched the little engine that could and loved it!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Does he just sit and watch it? My son is 12 months and will not sit still to watch a 20 minute tv show. I wouldn't put my child that young in front of the tv for any period of time. They need different types if stimulation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalx
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

sometimes depending what it is.. toy story he will watch the entire movie and not blink lol but hes always got toys or hes sitting in his walker watching so hes playing as well.

Quoting rwebb11:

Does he just sit and watch it? My son is 12 months and will not sit still to watch a 20 minute tv show. I wouldn't put my child that young in front of the tv for any period of time. They need different types if stimulation.

CafeMom Tickers

villagemamma
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

DD didnt really have any interest in TV until she was about 2-3 now that shes 4 she appreciates her morning cartoons

wixychixy
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

We use TV as background noise in the living room while we he is playing in the next room.  I have been told that my 3 year old is on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum.  He absolutely freaks out if it is completely quiet.  He never sits and watches the TV, and we just play Disney or Sesame Street DVDs just barely loud enough to hear.

A few minutes won't hurt anything.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

My son watched tv and a baby and still does.  He liked the disney shows and sprout channel stuff like that.  I think tv is fine as long as its not all day and doesnt become the babysitter.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

My kids aren't bigon tv. I wish they were sometimes though lol

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

My dd won't sit still to watch tv. She is 12 months. A lot of times it will be on but she doesn't even really pay attention to it.

OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I let my 3yo watch PBS if I take a nap with the baby. My 1yo doesn't watch TV. My 5yo gets 2 hours on the weekend of TV time. He usually plays the wii not watch TV
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoanahLee
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Never ever before age 2, and after that just in short bursts when I really need it, but not even daily... 2 times a week maybe. 

We occasionally watch old movies on the weekends with the kids, but they are back and forth from the playroom to the den the whole time. 

The only time we put them in front of long kid movies is on road trips when they are strapped into the car anyway. 

I would NEVER put a 9 month old in front of the tv.   Turn the radio on for him, put him in front of the window to look out, put him in a backpack and sit on an exercise ball while you do your homework and bounce him or read your homework out loud to him.  

Too much tv makes kids stupid, don't give him a head start! 

crystalx
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

too many leap frog movies is going to make my son stupid ? highly doubt that....Its not like I let him watch stupid tv shows.. educational or disney...ever try and do homework with a baby?... not as easy as it sounds.

Quoting JoanahLee:

Never ever before age 2, and after that just in short bursts when I really need it, but not even daily... 2 times a week maybe. 

We occasionally watch old movies on the weekends with the kids, but they are back and forth from the playroom to the den the whole time. 

The only time we put them in front of long kid movies is on road trips when they are strapped into the car anyway. 

I would NEVER put a 9 month old in front of the tv.   Turn the radio on for him, put him in front of the window to look out, put him in a backpack and sit on an exercise ball while you do your homework and bounce him or read your homework out loud to him.  

Too much tv makes kids stupid, don't give him a head start! 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN