Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you guys let your young children watch tv ?

In the mornings while I'm finishing up homework or doing some housework I'll let my little man watch a movie (hes 9 months) and I always feel bad putting him in front of a tv but I need a few min to get things done.

Btw.. he doesnt watch just anything.. usually a disney movie, or a leap frog movie, this morning he watched the little engine that could and loved it!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
JoanahLee
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Im not saying your son is, or will be stupid, but yes... even if a kid who watches excessive amounts of tv watches Disney and leap frog they will miss vital brain development.  

Doing homework with a baby is hard, ive done it, I know...thats why I suggested some alternate ideas.  Do what you have to do, but my opinion is that it is unwise to allow a 9 month old to watch that much tv, and also letting your child watch tv all day every day (which I know is not what you are doing) WILL make them stupid.   

Quoting crystalx:

too many leap frog movies is going to make my son stupid ? highly doubt that....Its not like I let him watch stupid tv shows.. educational or disney...ever try and do homework with a baby?... not as easy as it sounds.

Quoting JoanahLee:

Never ever before age 2, and after that just in short bursts when I really need it, but not even daily... 2 times a week maybe. 

We occasionally watch old movies on the weekends with the kids, but they are back and forth from the playroom to the den the whole time. 

The only time we put them in front of long kid movies is on road trips when they are strapped into the car anyway. 

I would NEVER put a 9 month old in front of the tv.   Turn the radio on for him, put him in front of the window to look out, put him in a backpack and sit on an exercise ball while you do your homework and bounce him or read your homework out loud to him.  

Too much tv makes kids stupid, don't give him a head start! 

nates-mommy
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this
Hey i let my son watch as much time as he wants..but its disney jr where all of the shows are interactive...yes he gets his flashcard time and book time as well....

Watching tv isnt what makes you dumb.... its pretending to be the perfect parent....ignore the naysayers
Necole87
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
My little guy is about to turn 3 he's been watching Disney Jr since the day he came home from the hospital. At this point he now watchs, Thomas and Friends, Leap Frog, and enter changes them with other disney movies. He's willing to stop watching to play outside. In my opinion so long as your child isn't growing a dependencey in the TV for entertainment you're okay. My son will sit and play with trucks for hours before he realized the TV is off.
PrimmednPunked
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

DD is 2 and we allow her to watch TV.   It allows us to get stuff done.  Not too much time though.  Most of her days are filled with playing, doing crafts and having fun :)

nonotyouagain
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read.  At this age they have the attention span of  goldfish anyway.  A few minutes of TV will NOT make your kid dumb.  bad

Quoting JoanahLee:

Never ever before age 2, and after that just in short bursts when I really need it, but not even daily... 2 times a week maybe. 

We occasionally watch old movies on the weekends with the kids, but they are back and forth from the playroom to the den the whole time. 

The only time we put them in front of long kid movies is on road trips when they are strapped into the car anyway. 

I would NEVER put a 9 month old in front of the tv.   Turn the radio on for him, put him in front of the window to look out, put him in a backpack and sit on an exercise ball while you do your homework and bounce him or read your homework out loud to him.  

Msivrath
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Thats absolutely fine, moderation  is the key and having control over it.

Msivrath
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I agree, thats the dumbest thing I have heard! At age 4, DS could count to 100+, say the alphabet and bi=uild a full puzzle. Thanks Mickey and Jake, for assisting Tyrique to count LOL
Quoting nonotyouagain:

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read.  At this age they have the attention span of  goldfish anyway.  A few minutes of TV will NOT make your kid dumb.  bad

Quoting JoanahLee:

Retrokitty
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Tv before the age of 2 is extremely harmful on development. For two reasons. First tv is only useful if it teaches. Cognitively tv can not teach a child until 2. It's not that the child can't learn its that the brain isn't develope enough for the child to learn from tv. Second tv has been shown to delay development in 96% of children under two who watch it for more than 15 minutes a day. It uses a different part of the brain so it delayes the learning process. If a child I watching 30 minutes of tv they can not learn for 1-2 hours after that because their brain is still in the wrong cognitive mode.
Retrokitty
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
More than 15 minutes of tv will delay development for children under 2. Hundreds of thousands of studies in dozens of countries have all came to that same conclusion. It is not dumb its very a very real side effect of tv

Quoting nonotyouagain:

Quoting JoanahLee:

Necole87
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Studies aren't always 100% correct. My son has been watching TV since he came home from the hospital and he has no development problems. Letting a child watch TV while he plays isn't a problem. I rarely turn my TV off, simply because I don't like it being too quiet. I always make sure he's got some kind of educational show for a few hours then I let him pick a disney movie

Quoting Retrokitty:

More than 15 minutes of tv will delay development for children under 2. Hundreds of thousands of studies in dozens of countries have all came to that same conclusion. It is not dumb its very a very real side effect of tv

Quoting nonotyouagain:

Quoting JoanahLee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN