Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

A family that doesn't listen.

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM
  • 7 Replies

I've recently moved back in with my mom and two younger brothers. I've of course brought my soon to be 3 year old along. Since moving in to this house, my son has just gone off the rails I guess. He doesn't want to listen to me anymore. He's constantly talking back and yelling when he doesn't get his way. My mom thinks it's okay to let him run around in nothing but a shirt. And no one helps to enforce any of the rules that I've asked for. There aren't many. I had been doing so well with trying to get my son to potty train, I felt as if I was so close to getting him to understand he had to tell someone he needed to potty. We get here and when I'm not home my family allows him to have his accidents without consequences. I feel as if I have to be the bad guy all the time. I just wish they would try a little harder to help me keep my son on track. 

Ashley N. Langley
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ShireeCS
by Shiree on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Be firm it's tough but he needs to remember you are in charge
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

He could still be adjusting to the move also  and that could be impacting his behavior. I'd just be firm and keep reminding your family. I hope things get settled down quickly!

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

That is what I would do. Also moving might be a little hard on him so take it slow since he is trying to get use to everything. It will take time. Because before you know it you will problly be moving again. I am sorry no one is helping you.

Quoting ShireeCS:

Be firm it's tough but he needs to remember you are in charge

Necole87
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Thank you for the advice. I've had several sit downs with my family about what's been going on. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who believes the move has been rough on him. I know he needs repetition in order to feel secure. I just wish they would help with that. Hopefully things will get better as time goes on. Gonna keep my head up.
CrystalYaris
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

*hugs* I wish I had advice. I go through the same thing with my family. My mom does great on what I ask. Forbid if my son goes to stay with his Gramps, though! My dad does not enforce potty time and yells at me saying I'm lying about my son using the potty. I tell him you have to make him go and least once every hour (at minimum). In my home, we have set a timer for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, he goes to the potty.

At least you had a talk with them, I hope it all works out for you. When living in large groups like that, it becomes a community thing (especially when you are out for a little bit) to help keep things in line for the child.

Necole87
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I've come to realize I have a family of selfish people. They say they care, but they don't act like they care. After that talk not much has gotten better. My mom is attempting to try and help more. My younger brothers are more about themselves. Everyone is happier if I just let my son do whatever he wants. But I'm not.
CutieCrab
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I know where you're coming from...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)