Uuuugh! Men irritate me! I'd THINK that he'd want the best for his child...
I just found out that I am surely pregant, roughly 5 weeks. I'm pretty early, but there are benefits to knowing so early, I have more time to prepare(yay)! However, there's also the 'talks' that come earlier as well. My boyfriend of almost 7 years, this is his first baby. I have twin boys that are 10, which aren't bilogically his, so this is kinda new territory for him. I decided to breastfeed, though I didn't BF with my boys, I formula fed them. So BFing is going to be a whole new experience for me. I put a cap on the age that I would BF, which was 2 years, the age that I personally felt comfortable with.
The irritating part came from me leaving a webpage open(I just haven't gotten around to talking to him about BFing yet, I honestly didn't think he'd care either way). Anyhow, he seen that it was about BFing and asked me about it. I told him that I planned to until the baby was 2 years old or so, and he thought that....and I quote, "that's weird" and "that's disguisting." I can see how some people feel that way...he doesn't have anything against BFing, but he feels that it's odd to BF once the baby is able to eat solid foods, if not before that. Therefore, we got into an arguement. Now, just a very brief explanation of his view points...he's always been very 'science worthy.' If it can be proved by studies, researchings, or proven...then it's true. Anytime I didn't have the same opinion about something that he did, he'd always bring up things like that. Now, with the BFing thing, his arguement was this...
1. "I was bottle fed and I have no issues. No health problems, I'm book smart, etc etc..."
2. "My sisters and nephews was bottle fed, again, nothing wrong with any of us."
Here's my arguements...
1. Many, many studies have proven that BFing is more healthy for a lot of reasons. You get antibodies and white blood cells that formula cannot give you, and the first few weeks is a big one too (not saying the word because I can't remember how to spell it .. cholostrum or something like that...)
2. It's the most natural thing you can do
3. The baby will have a much better chance at fighting infections and illness, and isn't as likely to even get sick in the first place if BFed compared to formula feeding...not to mention, when they do get sick, they tend to get over it quicker.
Again, he's always believed in scientific studies and medical research, but for some reason...when it comes to his first born, I feel like his embarrissment is more important than my son/daughters health! The part that kills me the most, is that he's not even willing to look up any information or talk to a lactation consultant...or even my OB about it! That really pisses me off. I think that he's being very selfish and naive about the whole situation. I agreed to 6 months BFing, but I think I did that out of frusteration. I want to reconsider that, but take his feelings into account as well.
My question to you ladies...well, one of them anyhow, is suggestions on how to approach this. I'm willing to compromise BFing until the baby's on solid foods. That sounds fair to me, and would make me feel better about my baby's health. And in general...opinions about the whole thing would be great. And please...don't hold back, it won't hurt my feelings. I want outside opinions on whether I'm being unreasonable and a total inconsiderate bitch, or if I may be at least partly justified in this whole thing?