Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My separation anxiety

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
I'm a first time mom to a sweet little four month old boy. I've only ever left him in someone else's care a few times for very short periods of time. I thought i was getting to be more comfortable leaving him but after yesterday i guess i'm wrong. I went grocery shopping & left ds @ home with dad & then i heard a baby crying in the store & was overcome with panic, feeling like i had forgotten ds or like something was wrong with him & i wasn't there to protect him or soothe him. Does this happen to anyone else? How can i feel better about stepping out without ds? I fully trust those who have watched him for me (grandmas & daddy) so i don't know why i feel so anxious!
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gabrielat
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I had similar issues, but I never felt panicked. I always feel like no one watches my son well enough, but that's mainly because my parents don't respect how I decide to parent so they do it the way they think is right when they watch him.

But what I would say is just try and relax. You're a new mother with a young baby. It's perfectly normal to feel scared that something will happen. When you feel those types of pannicked feelings, stop, take a deep breath and tell yourself he's fine.  If need be, call whoever is watching him and see if he's alright just to ease your mind. You're a mother. You'll have a severe gut instinct if something really wrong was happening. But just try and relax when you start feeling that way. 

I hoped this helped!

Mommy of 2 year old Brooklyn Claire up in heaven & 18 month old Dominic Michael. Becoming Vegan. Young mommy. Pro-Choice. Music lover. Tattooed. Earth is my home, I will keep her clean. Postpartum depression surviver. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I was like that when mine were babies also.

XingFingers
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Awh:( I love new mommies:) !!

Let me tell you, for two months straight i did not go anywhere or do anything without my son. The first time i left him i was forced to go out by friends who only got me out for 2 hours (including the drive) before i went home and that was new years eve. And Gabrielat is right, calling your baby and "talking to him" no matter how ridiculous you look talking to a 2/4/6 month old.. Hearing their little cooes are so reassurring. Haha. It will definately get easier to the point where you want them to go spend the night somewhere!! THEN you get where i am and realize your baby's first day of school is coming and you want another REALLY bad, by that time, you will feel like a pro ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN