Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Send kids to school with a cold?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

If your child has a cold but feels well enough to attend school, would you send them and have them wash their hands responsibly? Or keep them home to prevent others from getting it?

I think if a child feels well enough to go to school, they should go. As adults, we can't miss work for every sniffle and sneeze. Getting colds from time to time is inevitable and as long as a child does what they can to not share germs, it's ok to send them. Flu and serious illness would obviously keep them home but for common colds, some kids would miss half the school year.

My daughter has a cold and felt terrible last night. She rarely gets sick but when she does it hits her hard. I didn't think she would want to go to school today. But, she woke up and told me she felt a little better and wanted to have a cup of hot tea and go to school and promised she would wash her hands frequently. She is 9 and in 4th grade. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

It depends what type of cold... if this is a severe cold I would keep them home. I hate when people know they are sick, but spread their germs by attending events that they shouldn't go to or by going to work when they have sick days available. I know sometimes that happens when you are an adult where you HAVE to be at a function/work but are sick, but I personally would keep my child home if they were REALLY sick and not faking.

OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
If it were a bad cold I would keep my child home. It drives me crazy when kids are sent to school sick! My sons school asks parents to keep kids home if they are sick bc they do not want the germs to spread
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

My daughter has went to school with a cold. She didn't have a fever or throwing up. But all of her class has a cold.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
As long as she doesn't have a fever, without the use of Tylenol or ibuprofen, and she feels well enough, send her.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Agree

Quoting Courtney610:

As long as she doesn't have a fever, without the use of Tylenol or ibuprofen, and she feels well enough, send her.

TempestRayne
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

We only get 10 sick days here. The average.cold can last for two weeks. One cold eats.up all the.sick days and then what? e
Quoting Courtney610:

PhoenixGirlBlog
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

If it is just a common cold and my child was feeling and acting fine, I would send her to school. 

shellybird
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Send her!  If she wants to go to school keep that spark in her :)

She can always call you if she doesnt feel well later in the day!

3LittleNutBells
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I agree depends on how bad. If my child feels well enough to go, they can. If I kept my ds home last year everytime he had a cold...he might as well have been home schooled. lol. 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I agree.

Quoting Courtney610:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN