Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Mother in laws.......

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 67 Replies

okay okay i know being pregnant can cause you to be extra sensitive and all that stuff, but is there anyone else out there who is having a hard time deal with an over bearing mother in law?? my goodness, mine is just.....picking away at my last nerve and idk how much more i can take! She keeps making comments about my size and not in a good way, and telling me what i should do to be a good mom and constantly making this pregnancy about her, or so it seems...im losing it! and i cant be fake with her anymore!

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My MIL has never lived close to me while pregnant. My mother on the other hand has. She made comments all the time about what I ate or how much weight I gained. I started staying away from her and not dealing with her. I bit her head off a few times.

erin708
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
My motherf in law was the same way. Let it go out the other ear. Mine passed recently and I would give anything to have her little comments back:(.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrimalMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell me the stuff she says, I'll give you great comebacks. lol. I really don't have that problem at all with my mom or mother in law, I get it more from one of my sisters. Who has only been around me for 1 pregnancy out of 3 so far. I just avoid even talking about it. I did learn though that the more I ask questions the more she stops focusing on me. I guess she feels motherly if she gets to help so I don't ask for opinion I just ask for experience. She has 4 kids and she is VERY confident in her pregnancies and mothering. Like old wives tales lol. She just knows what is right and wrong and that is that! ;)

jaydenlove44
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM

well we live on east coast and our families live on the west, thats where we are from and i like her i really do but lately she is just getting on my last nerve with her constant taggin me in pictures on facebook for baby ideas, telling me what i need to do for my child, making sure im not carrying twins because i started showing earlier than some women i guess.. haha yea i try to just avoid commenting back but sometimes i cant help it and i feel like its obvious she irritates me, but i am close to the point of just blurting out to her to back off!

Quoting mommyof11050307:

My MIL has never lived close to me while pregnant. My mother on the other hand has. She made comments all the time about what I ate or how much weight I gained. I started staying away from her and not dealing with her. I bit her head off a few times.

jaydenlove44
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM

i try SO HARD to not let it bug me, but it does and sometimes i cant hide it and i think its going to get to the point where i need to just have a chat with her about how she makes me feel. but idk!

Quoting erin708:

My motherf in law was the same way. Let it go out the other ear. Mine passed recently and I would give anything to have her little comments back:(.

mom2theA-team
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I really hope you can get your husband to back you and tell her to eff off. These issues have nearly destroyed our relationship over the past seven years. We are 28 and let me say... It's been a long road but the ONLY issue we have ever had in our relationship was our MIL. Unless DH learns to enforce boundaries with her I will be leaving him. 

As much as I love my kids, if they were not here I would have already left DH. His mother is TOXIC!  

jaydenlove44
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

hahaha yea, my mother in law is VERY opinionated. but her comments about my size are the ones that bugged me the most, id post a picture every couple weeks and it was always something like wow you are so bing already or, are you sure its not twins?! gaining weight is hard for any woman to accept  even during pregnancy, im usually a size 3 or 5 and now my pants dont fit so it was hard to constantly hear those things from her, and she would put a smiliey face after what she said like it was alll okay for her to say it. just ticked me off...haha so now i dont post anything about my pregnancy anymore, which to me is sad because i really want to enjoy it. i just cant handle the peanut gallery anymore

Quoting PrimalMom:

Tell me the stuff she says, I'll give you great comebacks. lol. I really don't have that problem at all with my mom or mother in law, I get it more from one of my sisters. Who has only been around me for 1 pregnancy out of 3 so far. I just avoid even talking about it. I did learn though that the more I ask questions the more she stops focusing on me. I guess she feels motherly if she gets to help so I don't ask for opinion I just ask for experience. She has 4 kids and she is VERY confident in her pregnancies and mothering. Like old wives tales lol. She just knows what is right and wrong and that is that! ;)

jaydenlove44
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM

yea and my mom isnt like that , she knows when to shut up and when opinions are welcome...haha i wish he would tell her that but he doesnt see anything wrong with what she says, so i feel like i am going to have to be the one to talk to her about it. because i cant take much more of this and i dont want the rest of my life and marriage to have these problems.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

I really hope you can get your husband to back you and tell her to eff off. These issues have nearly destroyed our relationship over the past seven years. We are 28 and let me say... It's been a long road but the ONLY issue we have ever had in our relationship was our MIL. Unless DH learns to enforce boundaries with her I will be leaving him. 

As much as I love my kids, if they were not here I would have already left DH. His mother is TOXIC!  

mommyof11050307
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Delete her off fb. I did it with my mil. She would randomly make comments about me not calling her or asking if my phones broken. Umm if you have time to turn on your comp to say shit you have enough time to pick up the phone and call us. She'll text my husband he needs to call her but she won't pick up the same phone to call him.

Quoting jaydenlove44:

well we live on east coast and our families live on the west, thats where we are from and i like her i really do but lately she is just getting on my last nerve with her constant taggin me in pictures on facebook for baby ideas, telling me what i need to do for my child, making sure im not carrying twins because i started showing earlier than some women i guess.. haha yea i try to just avoid commenting back but sometimes i cant help it and i feel like its obvious she irritates me, but i am close to the point of just blurting out to her to back off!

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cbreland07
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this

do this.. then blame it on the hormones :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN