Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

SAHM Question

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 29 Replies

Hello,

My son is currently 4 weeks and my DH and I are really nervous about childcare. We are really considering me staying at home full or part time. We both had awful nannies when were infants and we are nervous that someone will not take care of our child properly. I want to know how the experience is for the women whom are already a SAHM.

Has your family had to cut back on a lot of things?

Is it more stressful or less stressful than you thought?

How is it for you and your family?

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2ArfarasMom
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I love being a SAHM but it's not for everyone. I'm so happy to get to be with them all day right now while they are so young. We aren't struggling, have everything we need and more. It was important to us that I be home that way there was never a worry that the kids weren't being properly taken care of or abused. And I love it. I'm happy and they're happy. We do lots of activities and reading....I just love it and feel lucky to be able to be home with them but it is A LOT OF WORK. I work harder now as a SAHM than I did when I was a working mom
Cbreland07
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I love being a sahm.. We had to budget at first but it wasn't too difficult. We had both decided I would stay at home when I first got pregnant so we were able to slowly adjust to 1 income.
It can be stressful some days, especially right after birth because of ppd. I've got 3 now and the stress level isn't any worse than I would have at a job, actually less for me because I don't have to worry about them with someone else.
It has been great for us! My oldest has told me countless times how much she loves that I'm always there.
I do have a part time now to bring in some extra money for Christmas but it's only at night when my husband will be home to watch them.
MrsApple
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Being a SAHM has been less stressful for us.If I were still working,my husband and I would really NEVER see each other,and our daughter would probably never see us either.We wanted to her to have atleast one parent around at any given time,since hubby's work schedule is crazy (60-80hrs/wk).We're both naturally frugal people so we didn't have to cut down on things much.Of course we don't go on all the vacations we would like to but we still do fun things and do vacation every year.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I've been a SAHM for most of my marriage, so we really didn't cut back on anything. (The income I brought in was fairly inconsequential compared to DH's income.) It is in some ways stressful (like never really getting time off work), but it'd be stressful for me balancing work and taking care of the family. I like staying home because I know how my kiddos are being raised, I'm better able to take care of my household, and DH loves having me home (as opposed to when I was working outside the home and occasionally we'd hardly see each other due to my work schedule).

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I am a stay at home mom and I love it. We make our budget work for us and it does mean some cutbacks, but we still have everything we need. We own our own house and pay all of our bills on time, we travel at least once a year. It has been great for us and has so far worked out great. I also enjoy getting to go on every field trip with my kindergartener and now with my preschooler.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM

At first we didn't have as much money for "extras". It's better now though.
I love being a stay at home mom. It's the best thing for my family right now. It's not stressful at all for me.

KittKattKy
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I've been a SAHM and a working mom for a year and half. My son is almost 4 and there are definitely positive and negatives to both. I LOVE being a SAHM mom because I get so much time with my boy and when I worked full time I truly missed time with my son. Thank God I had a wonderful daycare provider who loved my son and he loved her. I am again a SAHM due to relocation, and I'm so grateful to being able to be back with my son all the time. I felt like I missed so much when I was at work. The ONLY good thing about working was the money. That's it...even though it did help lol I'm a fulltime college student now as well so it looks like working part time is in the near future.

To love yourself is the beginning of a lifelong affair

http://youaregoodenoughlove.wordpress.com/

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

We have not needed to cut back. Being a SAHM is different for everyone. Some love it and some hate it. I love it. My family loves it. My husband and the kids.

JennyM8407
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I'm a SAHM and it's not always easy financially, and sometimes I want to just pull my hair out from being so stressed, but it's SO worth it in my opinion. It's not for everyone though. We do have to be careful on how much we spend but we still save more by me being home with our little one. The cost of daycare plus the days where you have to miss work due to a sick child ends up being more expensive in the long run. Unless of course you have a job where you make more than enough. I have worked many years in daycares as well as taught Pre-K, and with my experience I don't feel that younger children learn enough in these enrivonments. They learn how to be social with children their age, and not much more. So not only am I a SAHM, but I will also be homeschooling my child, so that I can make sure she is learning at the right skill level for her age and not falling through the cracks when/if she decides she wants to be put in public school. Small children are so impressionable, and I've personally witnessed dozens of sweet, innocent children become influenced by undisciplined, bratty kids. It's heartbreaking to watch. By being a SAHM, not only am I helping our family financially but cutting costs but also being able to teach/discipline my daughter the way I see fit, and getting quality time with her that is so precious and memorable. She is growing up so quickly and I want to be there for every moment. I know not every mom will agree with my assessment, and that's fine. It just works for our family. If you don't feel like you can trust strangers with your baby, then I say go with that gut feeling and stay home with your little one. You know what is best for your child and your family. Good luck! :)

jezike
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Girl you are so right. I need to leave it to God. I did not know how much a parent would love their child and want to protect them. Before I had my son I told everyone that I wanted to go back to work quickly so DH and I could get that second income rolling again, but it changed when our son was born and I just am so scared to leave him with anyone. I am praying that I can work from home because I will be a licensed teacher soon and there are several online elementary schools now so that would be a great way to take care of my little boy and make money at the same time.

Thanks for sharing :-)

Quoting JennyM8407:

I'm a SAHM and it's not always easy financially, and sometimes I want to just pull my hair out from being so stressed, but it's SO worth it in my opinion. It's not for everyone though. We do have to be careful on how much we spend but we still save more by me being home with our little one. The cost of daycare plus the days where you have to miss work due to a sick child ends up being more expensive in the long run. Unless of course you have a job where you make more than enough. I have worked many years in daycares as well as taught Pre-K, and with my experience I don't feel that younger children learn enough in these enrivonments. They learn how to be social with children their age, and not much more. So not only am I a SAHM, but I will also be homeschooling my child, so that I can make sure she is learning at the right skill level for her age and not falling through the cracks when/if she decides she wants to be put in public school. Small children are so impressionable, and I've personally witnessed dozens of sweet, innocent children become influenced by undisciplined, bratty kids. It's heartbreaking to watch. By being a SAHM, not only am I helping our family financially but cutting costs but also being able to teach/discipline my daughter the way I see fit, and getting quality time with her that is so precious and memorable. She is growing up so quickly and I want to be there for every moment. I know not every mom will agree with my assessment, and that's fine. It just works for our family. If you don't feel like you can trust strangers with your baby, then I say go with that gut feeling and stay home with your little one. You know what is best for your child and your family. Good luck! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)