Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Can I just pump and bottle feed instead of breast feeding?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM
  • 15 Replies

I was wondering if anyone exclusively/mostly pumps and bottle feeds instead of breast feeding? I go back to work in a month and just wanted to ask this for future. 

If I pump and bottle feed will my breasts make as much milk as they would if my baby was breast feeding? Does him being latched on have anything to do with the actual milk production? He does both great but was just wondering for the future when I go back to work (I work 10 hour days). 

I don't want my milk to dry up or slow if I am just pumping, I'm a big believer in breast milk over formula. 

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM
I exclusively pumped and bottlefed for 6 weeks never had an issue with supply. But my mom breasfed 6 kids and she was able to supply enough milk for another child after breastfeeding.
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I was never able to get the same amount pumping as if she were directly on breast.  You can pump during the day at breaks and then nurse at breast when you are at home.   That way the baby can have breast milk all the time regardless.   I would do as much reading as i could on this subject in your case and perhaps talk to other working moms who used breast milk instead of formula.

SheciaBaby
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM
I did it. I think I got lazy some days. Chose sleep over pumping.. And it messed everything up. Its do able. I did it for nine months but the last few months I did formula and breast milk.
littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Eping is harder then actually nursing. Plus ur milk adjusts to hee at breast but wont for pump. Buts its doable. U need to pump every 2-3 hrs AROUND the clock to keep ur supply up
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I exclusively breastfed but never used a pump but here is a bump. You might be able to get some more advice in the breastt feeding Moms group also!

AbbeysMom2013
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I ebf for three months, my daughter didn't want to latch. And it was important for our situation to know how much milk she was getting. It was hard. I would bottle feed her, then pump after. It was very time consuming. I would agree with other posts that if you are home to breastfeed, and pump at work. It is doable, you just have to be committed to it.
hockeymomfor4
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

That's what I usually end of doing. I breastfeed for a while, but with the kids, it's easier to have a bottle on stand by just in case.

KimTaylor76
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I pumped and bottle fed my son during the day and just nursed him at night for the first few months and jt worked out fine. My supply didnt get lower or anything, i think as long as you pump often enough your body will get the message to keep makin it. Good luck :)
LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

At the hospital they say you need the baby to stimulate the milk production, if you can't get enough, but you can also do it with a pump. I was also told when i was drying up to pump every 15 minutes. 

Love Always,

Angel

typing

Courtney610
by Courtney on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
You can try. I never had much luck with pumping. For me, it was so much easier to nurse. The baby can stimulate your milk production much better than a pump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN