Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your mothers idea of motherhood

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi everyone!
What was your mother's idea of motherhood? Was she a good mother? Did you take after her in any way?
In your opinion are you a better mother?

What does motherhood mean to you?
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrscass0416
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I was like Whaaaat? at first... my mother had no sense of what real motherhood was, she was very into whatever boyfriend she had at the time, so no she wasn't a good mother, my grandmother raised me for the most part but she was crazy, herself. She meant well, but she hated my mother so she said if I saw her that she would have me sent to a foster home where they beat and rape kids. 

Yea I had a crappy mother/grandmother/childhood.

Motherhood for me...... I love my boys more than life itself, we go one vacations once or twice a year I love to see their faces when they see something new, they are the reason I breathe. I try my best to give them everything I never had. I tell them that I love them at least twice a day because my mother never told me she loved me. I see a picture of them and it brings a smile to my face. 

Motherhood to me.... doing the best I can as a mother, to give them all they need , oh and to sometimes sneak them cookies after dh says no lol

AbbeysMom2013
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
My mother is an amazing mother. And I really enjoy watching her with my daughter. She loves her so much. My mother has always been there for me no matter what, not really sure what I would do with out her.

To me motherhood is putting your child first. Realizing their needs. And doing everything in your power to keep them safe and happy.

Sometimes I'm having a bad day, and she smiles or laughs and it melts my heart.
aiden032809
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM

i think my mother was a better wife then she was a mother. everything was about my dad not us. we were just there to do stuff for my dad (thats how i felt when i was younger) once we grew up and my mom divorced my dad yes she became a good mother. she is a good mother she did the best she could with what she had. am i better? cant compare. i wasnt in her situation and she was never in mine... so who knows.

to be honest i dont know what motherhood means to me ....  im 4yrs into it and i think im still trying to figure it out hehe

yankeefan828
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM
My mother is just a horrible person in general. She thinks paying this bills and buying me things is what makes a mother which is absolutely disgusting. She thought that because she made more money than my father she didn't have to do anything. She didn't cook, clean or even teach me how to do things like my own hair or makeup. She was a bad wife, she cheated on my father. She told me she was taking me Christmas shopping and instead she took me to men's clothing store to me up with her boyfriend then told me I can stay in his living room while she will be in the bedroom. I was 10 it was the first time I took the train home by myself from the city to queens. Then when I told her its either she tells my father or I will she told me my father wouldn't believe me anyway. She told me to marry someone for their money. She called me and my husband poor because our house is only 160,000. Unfortunately there's so many pictures of me and her since she Refused to learn how to use my fathers camera to take pictures of me and him. She degrades my husband and would never let me like anyone else's mother since I don't get along with her. That is her life's mission! I don't like my mother in law but I have like other mothers of friends and my ex husband and she threw fits around them to completely embarrass me so I would have to leave. She also seeks out girls close to my age on her jobs to try to be a mother to them. When I was younger she told me my grandmother didn't love me she was just trying to make nice since sge ruined my mothers childhood. Now my mother may buy things for my daughter but she doesn't pay attention. My daughter has gotten hurt because she wasn't watching her and if she is watching her without my father around she panics and calls me so I have to stop what I'm doing so she can go smoke cigarettes.
I am a million times better than my mother. I actually take care of my child, I know things about her, I cook and clean, and I'm just a considerate person. If someone is out of line including her I wil stand up for myself or my family if I need to I would not degrade someone for fun or to make myself feel better. That us not the example I want for my daughter and my next child.
Motherhood to me.... Is when your child is the center of your universe. You would do any and anything to protect them and keep them happy then having the patience to teach them right from wrong. And you cherish every moment you have with them because you know they will grow up fast. Then hope they grow up into a person you can call a friend :-)
peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

my mom is an awesome mom.  I am trying to be as good at it as she was when I was young.  I was always made to feel special and loved.  Each year, to this day, we are together at 112pm on my birthday.  That is the minute I was born.  She makes it our special moment.  It lasts less than a minute but it is a tradition I cherish.  We have a happy birthday hug and kiss and then go on with our day.  She won an all expense trip to Rome for being a high booking agent at her work when I was in 3rd grade.  I was going to dance in a recital that had me on the stage for only 4 minutes and she refused the trip to be in the audience for me!  She could be tough on me, always made me live up to my potential but I am a better person because of it.  Today, I am 27 and she is my best friend.  We spend lots of time together.  I was there for her through her breast cancer when I was 13 and she was there for me when I had the hard pregancy.  I love her with all my heart!  Not only is she a great mom but she is now a fantastic grandma!

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM
My mom is my role model in many ways. She tried to raise my sisters and me by being a good example for us, showing affection, and disciplining us when it was needed. Granted, as I get older I see she is human and I may parent somewhat differently, but I've developed a better relationship with my mom since becoming a mom myself.

Motherhood to me means raising kids to be kind to and respectful of others and be contributing members of society. The best way to do this is by example.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pokemongirl0191
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I love my mom. She split with my dad when I was young and she married her ex a couple years later. So I got an older step sister. She wpuld cook home cooked meals for us alot of the time. She dealt with the school when I was having tronle with my learning disabilities. She fought for me for years to get me a school keybored so I can take notes in class. She supported me when I wanted to be a Singer. She would take me to my vocal lessons after school. She would help me with music class and help me practice for the final exam. She got back toughter with my dad a couple of years ago.
AliKatAK47
by Alicia on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I didn't have a mother. I grew up with my grandparents and even then I was more of a "grand-daddy's girl". Motherhood to me just means a women who is raising children.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM

My Mother was great when we were small, I don't think I'm better just differant.

felicia0387
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:21 AM

My mother was great to me as a young child, even though she made some poor decisions. When i was about 13 she remarried and i could not stand the guy, he was very emotionallyy and verbally abusive towards me. She never saw the abuse and did not believe me at first. It wasn't until i was 16 that she found out how he really treated me. My car caught fire and i had to call him to pick me up at the junk yard where they pulled my car. Mind you now this junk yard was only maybe a mile from my house, he threw a fit! When he got there he said in front of everyone working that he wished i would of burned in that car so that i would not be a burden anymore. When my mom found out she went off, she started noticing things after that. There marriage did not last long after that, they did not actually get separated until i was 23 but stopped living togetherr when i was 22. She trys to make up for it by beign a good grandmother to my 2 kids, but there is still a strain on our relationship. Am i a better mother, yes i think so because i always put my children first. Motherhood to me is enjoying every minuet of your children, especially when there are young bbecause they grow to fast!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)