Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Adolescence Lasts to Age 25?!

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

7 Things Young Adults Shouldn't Do if Adolescence Lasts to 25

by Jenny Erikson

If 40 is the new 30, and 30 is the new 20, does that make 20-year-olds 10? Maybe, if you buy into the updated guidelines being given to child psychologists. The BBC reports that adolescence no longer ends when people turn 18, but rather when they turn 25.

Yup, apparently there are now three stages of adolescence: Early adolescence ranges from 12 to 14 years, middle adolescence from 15 to 17 years, and 18 and over is classed as late adolescence. I’m sure we’ve all known someone in his or her 20s that refused to act like a responsible adult, but come on. Let’s not excuse immaturity on “developing brain patterns.” One would hope that our brains continue to grow and mature throughout the years, and just because a 20-year-old might not be as wise as a 40-year-old doesn’t make them a child.

But if this is really going to be a thing, and these legal “adults” want to be classified as children to avoid grown-up responsibilities, then there are some privileges they should just have to do without.

1. Drinking. This one is sort of self-explanatory. Adult beverages are for adults only.
  2. Driving. If a 25-year-old is still an adolescent, then a 16-year-old is practically a toddler. Hand over the keys until you’re mature enough to be trusted with heavy machinery, please.
  3. Credit Cards. It’s not free money, kids. You’re going to have to pay that all back someday. With interest.
  4. College. Do you really think children are responsible enough to choose a major and a career goal that will benefit them in the long run? Nope, let’s only let older people pursue higher education -- after they’ve learned a little about life.
  5. Voting. Children lack logical reasoning. They don’t get to pick our leaders.
  6. Tattoos. I know forever seems like the time it takes for spring break to get here when you’re 19, but tattoos are forever, and a dancing demon on your hiney isn’t going to seem like the best idea in a couple of decades.
  7. Sex. Think of how many STDs and abortions we could stop if there were a way to stop people from having sex until they were fully cognitive adults. Not to mention all the hurt feelings that could be prevented by young people getting too close too soon and getting their hearts broken.

Or you know, we can accept the fact that young adults may still be figuring out how to make a space for themselves on the planet, but they are adults and subject to all the responsibilities and privileges that come with it.

When do you think adolescence ends?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Courtney610
by Courtney on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but mine ended long before I was 25. At 25, I had been married for 6 years, had 3 kids, owned my own home for 3 years, with an excellent credit rating.

My adolescence was long gone before I turned 25.
MrS.GiFFord
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM
You know I think its true. I thought I was so grown up because I wad homeless at 15 and never really did anything like drinking or partying. I didn't actually feel like an adult until 25 though. By that I was no longer impulsive and temperamental.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buckeyetravels
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I would say there are some 20 year olds who still act like children.  Like the stupid 20 something year old college kids who only care about drinking and partying instead of studying and don't give a shit about their college grades.  I think it depends on your maturity. Teenage years ended for me at 19 when I moved out and got married.  

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

25? LOL, I had 2 kids and had been on my own for 4 years at 25.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I started feeling like an adult around 21. By 25, I felt even more grown up, haha. But not by much!

MamaLioness2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I just turned 25 last month but I think I can safely say that once I was living on my own at 20 I was coming out of adolesence. I picked a crummy major (I loved it and was passionate but it has gotten me nowhere), I racked up my credit cards trying to get through school and was on very rocky ground. By 22 I would say I was an adult and by 23 I was a mother. 21 was just a blur of good times, a break from school, my DH (we had just started dating at the time) and a lot of fun.
This is interesting though because I JUST turned 25 and I've been toying with the idea of going back to school for a new degree for a while but finally had it with the way my life is about a week ago and started the process of going back for my teaching degree and FINALLY getting my life back on track.

CafeMom Tickers
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM
My adolescence ended at 18. I got married at 19 moved to Germany with dh, had a baby at 22, 25, 27, 30 and I'm having another at 32. We moved back to the US at 23 and bought our home. I know many 25 year olds and younger act like children, but we did not.
RheaF
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I think it depends on the person. At 20 I was married and had my first at 21, my second at 25. I was more than ready to settle down and start a family. However, I know some thirty and forty somethings who still act like teenagers, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)