Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Does your child know how to dial 911?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 11 Replies

3-Year-Old Calls 911 to Save Mom's Life After She Suffers a Seizure

by Mary Fischer

guy & katie fritzsche

A mom in Arizona is thanking her lucky stars after an unlikely hero saved her life earlier this month. When Katie Fritzsche started having a seizure, her 3-year-old son, Guy, called 911 -- a move that even surprised her.

As you will hear after listening to a portion of the call in this video, Guy sounds like your typical 3-year-old. It's tough not to be in awe of how calm he sounds as he tells the operator, "My mom is not feeling better. My mom’s whole body is wiggling."

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

OMG. How precious is this kid?!? What a brave little soul!

And if picking up the phone and dialing 911 isn't amazing enough, would you believe that Guy also had the presence of mind to lock up the family dog before the paramedics arrived so that it would not get in the way of them helping his mother? Um, most adults wouldn't be composed enough to make a move like that in an emergency.

How many 3-year-olds know how to not only use a phone, but to dial 911 if someone in their family needs help? Most parents assume they are too young to learn such a skill, but based on what happened to Katie, it's obvious that we should never underestimate our little ones' ability to act should something serious ever happen to us.

And it was really just a stroke of luck that Guy knew what to do. His parents had to call 911 for him a few months ago when he swallowed hydrogen peroxide. After the incident, they explained how calling 911 was essential in the event of an emergency. Can you imagine what would've happened on the day of Katie's seizure if they hadn't gone over what to do with Guy?

This is obviously a skill that all parents need to teach their kids -- even if they think they're doing it a bit too early. It's worth a shot, especially if it winds up being a matter of life and death.

Does your child know how to dial 911?

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Yes. Although teaching him what to say was a little harder because our street adress is 911 and that confused him a little bit when he was younger.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

They're 12 and 13 now so yes, but they've known how since they were toddlers, too, just in case.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

My child knew how but now she is having fire safety at school this week so now she really knows. LOL

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Not yet, she is 13 months so we will be working on that.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

And what a great story! I will watch the video later, but it is wonderful that this little man was able to call 911 and save his mom!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

We are working on it now atually.

Connorsmommy13
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM

He has known since he was 2-3 because I get sudden migrains and have fallen down the stairs because of them and I wanted him to be able to get help, we practised on a play phone and I role played with me being the operater.

MrsApple
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Yes.She's knows what situations warrants a call to 911 as well.

mom_of_twingirl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Yes they do, but it is hard telling them what they should say. But I quiz them every so often just incase, because they are home with my mom in the morning and my mom has medical problems. So they know what to say if need it,
BatMom.
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Yes; my Son has known how since He was three. He's now six.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN