Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

co-parenting and getting along

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 2 Replies

I notice that there are some women who think the parent that has custody of the child should just let the non custodial parent have their way constantly and be able to make all the rules, have no responsibility for their children. Pretty much they think custodial parent should be responsible for everything and ncp should just ride the coat tails of the custodial parent. Pretty much give into the ncp's demands.

I do not think this is getting along or co parenting. I think it is very important to get along and to co-parent but sometimes it is just not possible. My ex is the type of person that wants everything his way. That to me is not compromising or co-parenting. I think getting along and co-parenting is both parents need to learn how to meet somewhere in the middle and make concessions. I don't think one parent should have it all their way. I think if one parent gives a little then the other has to also compromise what do you think about situations like this? and women who think they should just bend over backwards for ncp? 

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I agree with you

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I think there is a difference between not doing what the ncp wants because you don't want them to get there way versus because you want to compromise. I mean I think both parents should do what they can but it is still a relationship and in every relationship there is give and take. My ex and I have a good relationship but there are still things we have to compromise on and deal with and it isn't always easy. A good example is pick up and drop offs. We often "argue" about this because he works 10 minutes from my house and he still thinks I should meet him... one mile from my house!! I don't see why he can't drive that mile. Then he wants me to meet him when he drops off child support 20 minutes from my house. It is all just kind of ridiculous.

We also "argue" over money and child support to a point. It is a really long story but basically he agreed to pay for half of all agreed upon extracurriculars and he hasn't done it in like 3 years!! He owes me almost 2k just from that but I cover it because I want my kids to still have those experiences. So in a way I let him get away with it, but its because I want what is best for the kids and me and him fighting over it, isn't what is best.

I think parents both need to put aside their spite and pride and think about what is best for the kids. Period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)