Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor dog is going to starve!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 19 Replies

Everytime the dog's food and water dish (it is a combined one) is down, my dd (1yo) gets into it. She thinks the water is the pool or something and just splashes around and takes handfuls of dog food and throws it everywhere.

I tell her no no, take her away from the dish and try to redirect her and nothing helps, she goes right back to it. So we put the dog dish up. I try to remember to pull the dish down when she is napping or on my back in the ergo, but it doesn't always happen because I forget. Someone usually brings it down after she goes to bed though so she does at least get some food and water ONCE a day, but I feel so bad for her :(.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, NONvaxing, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Gotta love that age lol

k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Lol ohhh yeah, it is a blast.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Gotta love that age lol

CrystalYaris
by ~*Brandi*~ on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Do you have another room you can keep the dog in to eat? You can let the gate down when the dog is finished eating. I didn't have to do that with my son and our pet, but had to use a baby gate to separate two dogs at feedings because one of them ate fast and tried to eat the other one's food (they weren't my dogs, but a roommates dog).

k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM

We have tried to do this where we are all in the living room and the gate is up, and the dog is in the kitchen with her food and water, but she whines to be in the same room as us and won't eat :/. I guess someone could try to sit in there with her, not sure if that would work or not.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Do you have another room you can keep the dog in to eat? You can let the gate down when the dog is finished eating. I didn't have to do that with my son and our pet, but had to use a baby gate to separate two dogs at feedings because one of them ate fast and tried to eat the other one's food (they weren't my dogs, but a roommates dog).

CrystalYaris
by ~*Brandi*~ on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I would slowly introduce it to her. It takes some effort, but try to put the gate up in the kitchen and walk outside. Have some playtime outside with the baby. You might still be able to hear the dog whining, but if in a place where it is ignored it can be broken. My pup used to whine when I put her in the kennel at night. I eventually moved her and the kennel outside. After a week, she got used to it and actually went to sleep when we did. Now she is house broken and doesn't need the kennel. Go to the park or go to the store. Each time you go out, make it longer until the dog is more comfortable with the idea.

Quoting k9l1c5:

We have tried to do this where we are all in the living room and the gate is up, and the dog is in the kitchen with her food and water, but she whines to be in the same room as us and won't eat :/. I guess someone could try to sit in there with her, not sure if that would work or not.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

scoleman828
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM
My Dd's did that around that age too. I was just consistent about telling them no. It took a while but they finally started leaving it alone. But, for the record, dogs that only eat once a day will be fine. In fact, most vets recommend not leaving food out all day because dogs tend to eat when bored, even if their not hungry. It can lead to them being overweight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM
It's common for that age. Maybe put it in a different room so it isn't there to tempt her for a bit?

Ill admit (awful Mom fail, I know), that my son ate a piece or two of dog food doing exactly this when he was about 18 months.
But we feed Blue Buffalo, so at least it was healthy and organic, right? :)
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Well, she is 9 years old so i'm not sure that she will get used to that or not, but we can try. I'm not sure how true the saying is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks... But I think if someone sits with her it might work so that she doesn't whine.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

I would slowly introduce it to her. It takes some effort, but try to put the gate up in the kitchen and walk outside. Have some playtime outside with the baby. You might still be able to hear the dog whining, but if in a place where it is ignored it can be broken. My pup used to whine when I put her in the kennel at night. I eventually moved her and the kennel outside. After a week, she got used to it and actually went to sleep when we did. Now she is house broken and doesn't need the kennel. Go to the park or go to the store. Each time you go out, make it longer until the dog is more comfortable with the idea.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I tell her no all day long and she hasn't gotten it yet, so putting it up is just easier for now. My dog is a yorkie and is only 10 lbs lol. She gets one scoop in her dish a day about a cup of food, if she is able to eat it throughout the day and finishes it, we don't add more until the next day.

Quoting scoleman828:

My Dd's did that around that age too. I was just consistent about telling them no. It took a while but they finally started leaving it alone. But, for the record, dogs that only eat once a day will be fine. In fact, most vets recommend not leaving food out all day because dogs tend to eat when bored, even if their not hungry. It can lead to them being overweight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Our house is all open, the only room with a door downstairs is the bathroom :/. And yeah she has gotten some in her mouth too lol. Hasn't eaten any that I know of, but sh*t happens!

Quoting MamaPeanut:

It's common for that age. Maybe put it in a different room so it isn't there to tempt her for a bit?

Ill admit (awful Mom fail, I know), that my son ate a piece or two of dog food doing exactly this when he was about 18 months.

But we feed Blue Buffalo, so at least it was healthy and organic, right? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)