Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Question for those who fly a lot

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

I plan on flying to Georgia with my 5yr old who is in a booster seat (obviously she isn't old enough or tall enough or weigh enough to not be in one lol). I was wondering what do I do with her seat? My husband will be picking us up from the airport since he still lives in Georgia. Should I send the seat to him a head of us leaving since I have another that I use if I'm not driving or, do I take it with me on the plane? Side note I've only been on a plane once (if you don't include having to change flights at another airport) and that what 10yrs ago when I was 13. I've never really liked planes and do prefer driving. But for my health I've decided that a 2-3hr flight is much better than an 18+ hour drive. Especially since driving means that I can't eat or drink anything  for a total of 20+hrs. I stop eating and drinking 3hrs or more before we leave just so we don't have to stop as much.I've made the trip driving 16 times that includes down and back. 

Anyway I'm more concerned on what I do about the carseat. 

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Carry it on the plane with you and stow it.
xtashax
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You may be able to check the booster for free when you check in your luggage depending on your airline. Sometimes it isn't worth it if you do have to pay for a seat both ways. 25 dollars each way. You are better off buying a 15 dollar booster on Amazon/Walmart and having it delivered to wherever you are going. 

amber_rachelle
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I planned on bringing a small suitcase/ backpack  to hold both my daughters and my clothes and that be my carry on other than my well I guess I only really need my wallet. I don't have a lot of money so I'm trying my best to avoid a lot of extra fees lol

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM
If you have a child with you, most airlines (at least all that I have ever traveled on) let you check it for free. You also may be able to just use it on the plane. Call the airline and ask or check their website. Usually they have information regarding that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

If you take it on the plane she CANNOT sit on it on the plane. It'll need to be put under the seat in front of her, or in the over head compartment. We took DS's with us when we went to Florida & the flight attendant was really super bitchy about him having it.

RachelBy
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I always check my daughter's because she is in a big carseat but if it's small enough it can count as s carry on. Our chihuahua in her case counts as one so I am sure a booster will lol if it has a back you may have to check it. You can always call the airline or check their website :)
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I've never flown but here is a bump.

MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

You have several options based on what you're comfortable with -- they can check it with your bags, you can take it on the plane and either gate check it (they will give you a tag at your gate and then you'll pick it up again right after getting off the plane) or stow it on the plane if it meets the requirements for carry on baggage. You can send it to your husband ahead of time if it really bothers you, but that's just an unecessary added expense if you ask me. I always just check DD's. It's no added cost -- just tell them (or indicate on self check-in) that you have a carseat and it will be sent through baggage claim just like your big suitcases. I fly often with DD and this has always been easiest for us -- no need to lug around a carseat if you don't have to!

MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

For carry on luggage every ticketed passenger (so both you and your DD) can take a backpack/laptop bag AND one personal item (a purse, tote, etc.) so if you choose to take this as a carryon it can count as one of your carryon items and you can still take other things with you.

Quoting amber_rachelle:

I planned on bringing a small suitcase/ backpack  to hold both my daughters and my clothes and that be my carry on other than my well I guess I only really need my wallet. I don't have a lot of money so I'm trying my best to avoid a lot of extra fees lol

Simple-Beauty
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Carry it on the plane and either have her sit on it or store it. It won't count torward your carry-on items. Do NOT check it with your luggage, it could get lost and you'd be stranded with no seat. I don't recommend gate checking it either, since the handlers are very hard on strollers/car seats and it could get damaged.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN