Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Have you ever been told that you were "too big" like Jennifer Lawrence?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 8 Replies

Jennifer Lawrence Won't Let Anyone Tell Her to Go on a Diet

by Emily Abbate

Jennifer LawrenceI have a bit of a girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence. Yeah she's a great actress and I wish I was naturally as hilariously quirky as her character from Silver Linings Playbook, but that's not why. I have a girl crush on her because she is totally anti-dieting despite being called a "fat actress" and "obese" in Hollywood. (Her words, not mine.) In fact, Lawrence recently told Harper's Bazaar U.K. that if anyone even "tries to whisper the word 'diet,' [she's] like, 'You can go f--k yourself.'"

Whooaaaaaaa Lawry. Can I call her Lawry? That is some fire! There's no doubting that Jennifer has strong opinions about her body, ones that she won't let anyone else influence. Deep down inside, though, the actress is totally willing to admit that even though she'll never go on a diet -- all the criticisms still hurt her.

Of course they do. She's an Oscar-winning actress, not inhuman.

There comes a certain amount of validation with losing weight. When the pounds are gone, women who have worked tirelessly, sweating at the gym, counting calories, they feel validated, and they should. As a woman who has accomplished a weight loss goal myself, I can say that at the end of the long journey, I felt invincible. But just like Jennifer said to Harper's Bazaar U.K., a person never forgets what it felt like to be told they weren't good enough. You know, before.

I'll give you a scenario. When I was heavier back in high school, I distinctly remember having a major crush on this guy, walking by his lunch table, and hearing his friend talking about my size and laughing. I remember feeling absolutely ashamed of everything I was.

Years and years later I'm a totally different person. That doesn't mean, though, that I don't reflect on what was without any emotional attachment whatsoever. That doesn't mean that even though I've come to embrace my body and be proud of what I've got, I won't be sensitive to other people's criticisms.

Jennifer is confident in her own skin and knows that going forward, she'll never allow someone to make her feel small because she's not their definition of "perfect." Even though the fat-shaming still gets to her, this newfound attitude is admirable. If that kinda confidence doesn't give you butterflies too, then sue me.

Have you ever been told that you were "too big"?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I think I would be a bit more envious of her if she had said this while she actually had a couple pounds to loose. She has a pretty awesome body so I dont understand

mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I love her confidence, I love her acting, I just love her!
mrsledford09
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM
It hurts to say yes. Ive been told i was too big. The worst part of it is that its still going on.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Since hitting puberty, the smallest my hip size has been, was a 7. I've been told many times that I'm too big. (Size 10 now.)

People can say what they want, I'm confident in myself.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Yes. I think since about puberty I've always been big.

Fields456
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM

i have been told both i am too skinny and too fat. ( different times of my life) and It doesnt bother me at all I am very comfortable in my own skin. I am currently still trying to loose baby weight but I am doing that for myself and not for anyone else.  I feel the same way she does if someone doesnt like how I look they can go fuck themselves

MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I am totally on the Jennifer Lawrence bandwagon and if anyone saw my youtube views it would  have an extraordinarily embarassing amount of her interviews. I've definitely been in that boat -- I think all women are at some point no matter how thin we may perceive them to be. It seems that the "dream weight" is fleeting for everyone (especially people fighting for jobs in Hollywood -- the land of airbrushing and crash dieting). I'm just excited that there is a role model like Jennifer Lawrence out there for girls who is witty and quirky and ridiculously famous to say, "I'm not going to be a part of this crazy weight-obsessed culture." Good for her! I just hope girls listen to that -- not just the juicy gossip of who she's dating, her skincare routine, or what it was like to meet Josh Hutcherson. Hell, I think she's a role model for me personally on this subject!

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Yes. The smallest size I have ever been was a 5, and now I am a size 18... working on losing weight always. I would love to be able to have the extra money to do weight watchers soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN