Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Embarrassed using WIC/FS?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is not a post for bashing or telling someone they shouldnt have kids if they cant support themselves ect, becuase I am sick of hearing about all the bashing. I was just wondering if you do use either, if you get embarrassed doing so? I had to use WIC a couple years back because of a bunch of bad things happened at once and couldnt afford it, I got off as soon as I could, not only did I want to support myself but I didnt want any one else to see because i had shame in it

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christenrenee
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't get either, but if i did I wouldn't be ashamed.

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't have that in Canada, but we have similar programs. If we did have to use it, the only reason I would feel shame is if I was using it and didn't really need it or something... If I needed it, then I would feel humbled and grateful it were there, but that's about it. I would def stop using it when I could support myself, though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yes i was very grateful when we did receive them and I could have kept getting them but quit because we could do it on our own again, but still I just wasnt comfortable using them i guess

Quoting FoxTales:

We don't have that in Canada, but we have similar programs. If we did have to use it, the only reason I would feel shame is if I was using it and didn't really need it or something... If I needed it, then I would feel humbled and grateful it were there, but that's about it. I would def stop using it when I could support myself, though :)

LilRed2130
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM
No.
Its there to help me feed my child...I am not ashamed of getting help. Sometimes ppl fall on hard times and really need it. its the ppl that ride the system that make it hard for the rest of us that are actually trying to make it and get off fs/wic.
BatMom.
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My Son and I had to use WIC for a few months, back when He was about two. I wasn't ashamed, but I also don't give a shit what others think.
There really is no shame in getting help. However, people who abuse assistance of any kind, should be ashamed of themselves.
colins_mom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I get fs, I don't really care. I use mine when I am at the point between choosing between food and rent.
lilmama8408
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive never had to use it but if I did id be happy im able to feed my kids. With this shut down I wish wr could apply
roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I use WIC and I am not in the least ashamed. My husband works 10-15+ hours a day 5 days a week to support us. Even with that, though, we still fall a little short each month since three out of the four members of our household have health problems that, not including doctors cost about $300 a month for just my husband alone. If we didn't need it we wouldn't use it, but we are trying to get by and just need a little help.

xLilBit22
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Im not ashamed. Its a big help, which i need at the moment. Im hoping that soon i can be off of it.
LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I have been going on and off wic b/c theres time we're doing good and sometimes we want to avoid any possible lack of food. So,..am I ashame not really our taxes pay for this and were are taking advantage of it and we are making sure our baby is healthy and well fed. And about the bashing dont have kids if you cant afford them sounds like rich ppl who never had money issues and definitely anyone and a lot of ppl have unplanned pregnancies, is better than committing murder and aborting the sweet baby. Evertything will only get better when we put our minds to it n sometime syou just need a little bit of help while you're trying to get there. I know im talking too much. 

Love Always,

Angel

typing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)