Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Embarrassed using WIC/FS?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is not a post for bashing or telling someone they shouldnt have kids if they cant support themselves ect, becuase I am sick of hearing about all the bashing. I was just wondering if you do use either, if you get embarrassed doing so? I had to use WIC a couple years back because of a bunch of bad things happened at once and couldnt afford it, I got off as soon as I could, not only did I want to support myself but I didnt want any one else to see because i had shame in it

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
tiniowien
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I used them but I don't now, I got a better job 

Vinterland
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I've used WIC, it definitely helps and there is no shame when you truly need it. People just need to stop being so judgmental of others/mind their own business because they don't know everyone's situations and they also don't know if or when something like that can also happen to them for them to need help too.

katie314
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I'm 4 months pregnant and on wic & food stamps ($16/month). I'm embarrassed because I know how everyone judges people who need help. I've had a job since I turned 16. Before I was pregnant I worked 2 jobs foe over a year, a lot of the time 14-20 hr days to support myself. I work my ass off. But the people standing behind me in the grocery line aren't going to even consider that I try my hardest and do go to work every day. I try to go shopping at wal mart late at night so I don't have to feel bad about trying to feed myself & growing baby more than top ramen and burritos.
tabby21
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

when i got first got wic i was embarresed....because i worked a full time job and so did hubby...but then i realized i help pay into it...and me and peanut get alot of help using it.....so now im not embarressed i just feel bad when i am taking forever when standing in line and others are lining up behind me

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I've never used either, but I would be very ashamed.
DJmom328
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM
The only time I get upset using my wic is when the cashiers don't know how to do it. This unfortunetly happens often holding up a line of people behind me who get angry. Not my fault;/
AbbeysMom2013
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM
We got fs for sept, and October. I stopped working in May due to my daughter being born. In July my husband had surgery and just went back to work. It was very helpful. I am not ashamed. I have got a few dirty looks using the card, but they have no idea what my situation is. I have worked full time since I was 18. I'm now 29. I figure I have paid in my fair share.
YoungMomsDeals
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I'm not ashamed that I needed help, but at the same time, people are so judgmental that I couldn't help but feel a little bit worried that people were judging me at the grocery store.

-----------------------
Owner of Young Mom's Deals, Where a Little Goes a Long Way.

I am known as the Coupon Queen amongst my friends and family. Mom to Emma (8/9/10 preemie) and Garrett (9/13/12 exactly on due date!). My husband, Stephen, and I have been married since 7/2/2009. I have one fur-baby, Biscuit, a sheltie born on 8/2/08. I am a graduate of UT Austin from where I hold a Bachelor's degree in History with a minor in English.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I get both at the moment and am not ashamed at all. People can give me stink eyes in the store all they want, I don't care. We need the help so whatever.
Morningday
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Don't ever feel that way you do what u gotta do. Don't be ashamed of getting a little help to give your children Food in their tummies. Fuck "im sorry for my language" what Ppl think. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)