Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Embarrassed using WIC/FS?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is not a post for bashing or telling someone they shouldnt have kids if they cant support themselves ect, becuase I am sick of hearing about all the bashing. I was just wondering if you do use either, if you get embarrassed doing so? I had to use WIC a couple years back because of a bunch of bad things happened at once and couldnt afford it, I got off as soon as I could, not only did I want to support myself but I didnt want any one else to see because i had shame in it

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
jl89
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I had wic when my baby was younger. I did feel a little ashamed. Probably because so many people think that those who use government assistance are lazy and what not. I was ashamed that even though I worked 40 hours a week and made more than minimum wage I still couldn't seem to pay for everything I needed to. 

mrs.gosnell
by Kristina on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM
I use wic for my babys formula and I'm not ashamed of it. The way I see it, I've been working since I was 17, and I've paid my share in taxes so therefore my son should have his formula covered since we are in a tight spot right now.
brandie1470
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the only reason people on them get embarrassed is because they have to worry about moms on here taking pics of their carts or huffing and puffing in line behind them waiting for wic checks to go through.

its enough already that these families needed to get pa. They shouldnt have to worry about people making them feel worse
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I have gotten food stamps in the past and both kids get Medicaid and no I'm not ashamed. I wouldn't use it if we didn't need it.

buckeyetravels
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I don't but I feel sorry for people that have to do so.  I can understand how someone can feel embarassed about having to get government help to help feed theirselves and their children when it seems that general society looks down on those who aren't as well as off.  The people who judge shouldn't judge because they could end up in that same position one day with the way our economy is.

depressedmom21
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
me and my husband aren't ashamed that we need a little help right now. with me sick and needing the lactose free milk Wic is the only way we can really afford it, and me not being able to eat certain foods that his parents bring in the house our fs are a blessing. half the time we don't have food in the house so I do without and I hate it. we're doing what we can do to make sure our daughter is healthy. btw im due in December
slashteddy
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Yes. I hide my cards, even from the cashier. Sometimes I do have to announce it though, and that sucks.
laura1986
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM
In Georgia even military families qualify for wic. I don't see any shame in it. Baby formula is expensive. As far as fs go, if you need it I don't see a reason to be embarrassed. If you're lying to get it like many many people do, that's a different story. I also feel you should have to pass a drug test before receiving any government aid.
laura1986
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Btw...that is not a biased comment to anyone receiving aid. My daughter is on medicaid.

Quoting laura1986:

In Georgia even military families qualify for wic. I don't see any shame in it. Baby formula is expensive. As far as fs go, if you need it I don't see a reason to be embarrassed. If you're lying to get it like many many people do, that's a different story. I also feel you should have to pass a drug test before receiving any government aid.

Francesca1026
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

When I'm signing my Wic check, and there's a line behind me, I wonder if people are judging me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)