Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Embarrassed using WIC/FS?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is not a post for bashing or telling someone they shouldnt have kids if they cant support themselves ect, becuase I am sick of hearing about all the bashing. I was just wondering if you do use either, if you get embarrassed doing so? I had to use WIC a couple years back because of a bunch of bad things happened at once and couldnt afford it, I got off as soon as I could, not only did I want to support myself but I didnt want any one else to see because i had shame in it

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
felicia0387
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I get both and am not ashamed! I still get dirty looks sometimes but i ignore them for the most part. Currently i am looking at going back to school so hopefully in the future i will not need these things, but they are nice when your in a rough patch! i cant stand those people that abuse the system, it makes people like me who follow the rules pay the consequences!

Momy2beAUG.2009
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM
If I ever had to use it and I definitely would if the situation arose, but I would be very ashamed it came to that. But my shame would not stop me from feeding my children.
littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
It's there when its a need. & I am not ashamed that I have needed to us both program. My taxes have gone to it for if & when I ever needed it.
I get upset when I see people abuse it, & robot report things correctly cause it causes those who really need it not able to because those have who messed the system up, messed it up for everyone.
momtotwo08
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I had wic when my kids were babies and on formula. Yes I was embarrassed and my dh always went to get it.
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM
It never happens when you're the only one in line! Lol

Quoting DJmom328:

The only time I get upset using my wic is when the cashiers don't know how to do it. This unfortunetly happens often holding up a line of people behind me who get angry. Not my fault;/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalYaris
by ~*Brandi*~ on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I was embarrassed when I had WIC.

coupon_ash_back
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM
been there and yes I was ashamed
brittany208
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM

i have never used either (we would qualifiy, but i have always refused to get on any kind of assistance) and yes, I would be ashamed. i want DH and i to be able to take care of our own family. sure, we're broke, but we are doing it. i got a WAH job to help make ends meet. thats just what you should do.

I am more than happy to help people who genuinely need it, but i think if there was more shame in it, more people would find a way to figure it out. everyone has the attitude of "oh, its cool, that's what the money is there for!" well... id rather see the money either go to people who genuinely desperately need it or stay in the paycheck of people who earned it, not go to those who really could be doing it themselves if they had to. its the easy way out for a lot of people. (obviously not YOU, dear whoever is about to get offended at me. just some people)

i have gotten free clothes and baby supplies at a women's care center bc MIL works there and she set me up, knowing we cant afford all new things. but i do plan on donating (and have donated in the past) once we are done with stuff.

brittany208
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

how can you afford school if you cant afford food? not trying to be mean, just honestly curious why you are in school, not working? 

Quoting felicia0387:

I get both and am not ashamed! I still get dirty looks sometimes but i ignore them for the most part. Currently i am looking at going back to school so hopefully in the future i will not need these things, but they are nice when your in a rough patch! i cant stand those people that abuse the system, it makes people like me who follow the rules pay the consequences!

felicia0387
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I do work, i am a CNA and i am looking into furthering my education, i am not yet in any school just browsing my options and seeing what scholarships might be out there for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)