Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Embarrassed using WIC/FS?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is not a post for bashing or telling someone they shouldnt have kids if they cant support themselves ect, becuase I am sick of hearing about all the bashing. I was just wondering if you do use either, if you get embarrassed doing so? I had to use WIC a couple years back because of a bunch of bad things happened at once and couldnt afford it, I got off as soon as I could, not only did I want to support myself but I didnt want any one else to see because i had shame in it

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Replies (41-47):
davenport88
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I used to have WIC & FS but thankfully my husband was able to get a job and we got off the assistance. I used to HATE using my WIC, especially if there are a bunch of people behind me or if I got the wrong item and would hve to go hunt down the right thing (this happened a lot in the beginning). I didnt mind using my fs because I would swipe it fast in hopes that no one would see the card. As time progressed I stopped caring what others thought. They didn't know my life and struggles, how I never got to see my family because I worked 12 hour shifts, how my marriage was shaky because of money woes. I had to do what I had to do to get by and even now I'm not ashamed to talk about my time on government assistance. I recommend it to everyone that needs it. It honestly was a big help and often times kept us from having to pick between having electricty or food.  Being in the situation where you might have to eplain to you're kids why the lights don't work anymore is a big eye opener.

MomNeedsWine
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I personally do not see a problem with people using it if they legally qualify for it. I have used WIC with each of my four children and I don't care if people give me looks when I "hold up the line" using it. I'd like to take a moment to quote Dr. Seuss (spelling?) "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." 

fightgirl038
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I had to use WIC when I was pregnant with my oldest. And no I don't feel ashamed. I pay for it, so I should be to use it. The only way I would feel ashamed is if I was misusing it but I wasn't. I haven't used it sense. I feel that if people truly need it (and not the ones to lazy to get a job and support themselves. I don't mean the ones that can't get a job due to sickness or something that enables them to not, I mean the ones that do abuse the system and I know thats not everyone. So this is not bashing or accusing anyone that used it correctly. Please note this), then it should be there for that purpose because people do fall on hard times and every once in awhile needs help to get by. I wasn't ashamed. I live in Texas and I used Medicaid for all 3 pregnancies because I could not afford the doctor bills nor the hospital bills. But I haven't used it for any other reason than that and my DH and I did pay into it.

I feel that if you feel ashamed to be on it then you must be misusing it, because no one should feel ashamed for asking for help so long as they use it for that purpose. When I was on Medicaid and people (complete strangers) found out I was on medicaid they looked down on me like I was scum, many thought I was jobless, or abusing the system or something. Because those select few gave the whole system a bad name that abused it. I didn't abuse it, I used it because I needed help. I haven't used medicaid for myself since my youngest was born and that was 3 years ago. My kids are on Chips which is the state insurance for kids and we pay into that every year and I use it for the sole purpose of why its there. 

janel09
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I am. I work full-time making 11.50 an hour and my husband makes 8 an hour. I think it's pathetic we still fall in proverty guidelines.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:53 AM
I am normally I very proud independent person. I use them because I legitimately cant work with my disorders. I am currently applying for disability right now. I get Insurance through the state, too.
RheaF
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

We have FS. DH was laid off back in 2011 and we went to the state for help during that time. He has since gotten a good job, but we are still digging out of the 15 month period when he was not working. I know we will not need the help forever, and it is not a whole lot to begin with. I used to be really embarrassed to use the card, but I have learned....it doesn't really matter what other's think. If they are going to look down on you they will. No matter what your buying. You could have a cart full of healthy, whole foods, and someone would still say "you shouldn't be shopping like that".

FS/WIC/ etc are there for those times you need help. I NEVER look down on anyone for using them. Simply because I never know what their situation is, and even if I did...it is not my job (or anyone else's) to judge them.

RheaF
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My kids also get insurance through the state. We pay for it, but it covers them 100% for vision, Dental, and medical. We really could not get better insurance for them (that is still affordable) anywhere else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)