Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yep, I did that!!!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this
My daughter. Not only is she just awesome cuz I'm her mom, BUT she's still in the first quarter of second grade and is already reading and passing tests on almost 5th grade level books. Highest was 4.9. And she is choosing to do it and reads extra chapter books she gets from the public library.

I was 18 and 2 weeks shy of my high school graduation when she was born. And I've been fairly sure that I wasn't doing anything right with her. I know for a fact I've made mistakes in the last 7 years, but I'm feeling pretty proud right now. Of her for doing so well at school and at home, she's just a really good kid. But I'm also proud of myself for not giving up, for refusing to be another stereotypical teen mom, and for choosing to allow myself to let go of my teenage wants to grow up basically with her and her two little brothers and become a real mom.

Yep, I did all of that and I'm only 25 and all my kids are old enough to be in school now, or at least preschool. I don't get housing assistance. No LIEP this year. No cash assistance or food stamps. Only government help I get now is medical cards for the kids. I have had all of those things in the past, never cash though. But got ourselves to the point we don't anymore.

Just me, my fiance (who was 18 and still took on a 20 year old mother of 2 and then gave me one more and stuck it out. He's never left my side) and our kiddos against the world. Living our lives, having fun, and proving all those bastards were wrong when they said we'd never make it, we'd never be able to stand on our own, when they questioned our parenting skills or instincts.

Guess we must be doing at least a couple somethings right!!!

:)
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Great job!!! :)

They surprise us with how much they take in!
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM
What kind of books does your daughter like to read?

My daughter is 7 and loves to read, too! She is at a 5th grade level in reading.
jaccib88
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Her most recent reading obsession is a the "fairy" series by Daisy. Meadows. There's a bunch of them and different sets in the series, she's doing the jewel fairies right now but there's color fairies and Holiday fairies too. They have titles like Scarlet the Garnet Fairy and Sunny the Yellow Fairy.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Awesome!

k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

This is great! It's nice to hear the good stories once in awhile! Great job mom :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)