Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Has your child ever choked?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my lo was playing on the ground. She is 10 months old and a make an effort to keep the ground really clean but there was a piece of a kit kat wrapper on the ground (i think it may have slid under the couch a bit and that's how i missed it) that went into her mouth. i looked over and she was full out choking. I gave her a second to try to clear it out herself but then started patting on her back, it finally came out because she threw up. Scared the piss out of me. Have you ever had a child choking?

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Edenpeden
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM
My daughter choked on a miniscule piece of foil as an infant. Pounding her back didn't work, I ended up screaming for help and my aunt had to use her finger to swipe her throat and remove the foil. I just sat there holding her and shaking and sobbing after. Then once my mom gave her a chip when she was over a yr old, we were at applebees on my birthday....she choked and I couldnt undo the buckle on her high chair, ended up tipping the whole thing sideways and hitting her back til she puked it up all over the floor. That was also followed by me taking her to the bathroom, holding her and sobbing. It was always so scary to me, draining, made my knees feel like jello once she could breathe again. If you can't fix it, there wont be time for an ambulance. thats a horrible thought.
angelmommy2
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM
My oldest ds chocked on a piece from the Cadbury egg wrapper.. my bil grabbed him tipped him down and jabbed his back like they teach you in cpr course. It came right out with
some milk following
zombieskayer
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My son was a choker, he'd choke on pretty much anything. IT turned out his tonsils and adnoids were HUGE they said they were the biggest they have ever seen in a 2 year old. 

Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I took a course too which is helpful but it seems in a moment of panic, or at least for me you can't think straight, boy candy wrappers can be dangerous who woulda thought

Quoting angelmommy2:

My oldest ds chocked on a piece from the Cadbury egg wrapper.. my bil grabbed him tipped him down and jabbed his back like they teach you in cpr course. It came right out with
some milk following

Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

That stinks... Did they remove them right when they found the problem?

Quoting zombieskayer:

My son was a choker, he'd choke on pretty much anything. IT turned out his tonsils and adnoids were HUGE they said they were the biggest they have ever seen in a 2 year old. 

zombieskayer
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Yup! We had like a 2 week wait from the initial diagnosis to the surgery but it was super quick!

Quoting Indy3000:

That stinks... Did they remove them right when they found the problem?

Quoting zombieskayer:

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Thankfully no. It's always scary whether it's someone else or yourself.

roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My DD1 choked a few weeks back on a piece of tuna sandwich.  DH was patting her back but it wasn't working so he yelled for me to help him. When I got there she was already real red in the face, slowly going to purple. I hooked my arm under her ribs and jerked her up quickly, forcing the food out of her throat and all over the floor. Scared DH to death but for some reason I was really calm about it....

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

No, thankfully! She has "gagged" a little before though when we were just starting out with solid foods.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My son chocked on a piece of pancake, I remember his face getting a panicked look and hi cheeks getting really red, a few blows to the back and it came out along with his breakfast. Scariest moment ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN