Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Help! My 3 week year old baby girl likes to sleep on tummy

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 12 Replies

For the past week or so she has been loving when I put her on my chest while she is on her belly, she always falls into a deep sleep and then the second I put her down on her back she wakes up and starts to fuss so today I put her on her belly and she is sound asleep..I just put her back on her back and I can tell she is about to wake up soon. Should I let her sleep on her tummy!? I have a video baby monitor on her at all times when she is in her crib. She can also lift her head and turn it very well. 

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
All my kids been tummy sleepers since birth or couple weeks old. I put them on their backs and they choked on their spit. Never again will i put them to sleep on their backs.
Rotorkitty
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

As long as you are comfortable with her sleeping that way. I know for some babies they find comfort because they have tummy issues and the pressure just feels better. I have my little one sleep on her sides. She hates her back but all my kids have issues with reflux and sensitive tummies. My first slept on her belly for the first whole month of her life because of pain from formula. Just make sure the bed is firm enough where if she doesn't turn her head she won't sink into any blankets or anything. Some babies are just better at turning their heads than other babies so if you feel comfortable why not? 

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with this!

Quoting Rotorkitty:

As long as you are comfortable with her sleeping that way. I know for some babies they find comfort because they have tummy issues and the pressure just feels better. I have my little one sleep on her sides. She hates her back but all my kids have issues with reflux and sensitive tummies. My first slept on her belly for the first whole month of her life because of pain from formula. Just make sure the bed is firm enough where if she doesn't turn her head she won't sink into any blankets or anything. Some babies are just better at turning their heads than other babies so if you feel comfortable why not? 

fightgirl038
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

All 3 of mine were tummy sleepers since birth and after a few weeks I would let them sleep on their tummies. I would check on them but never had a problem. They are all now 6,4,3. So they are just fine. Do what you are comfortable with and if she is more comfortable on her belly then do it. 

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I probably will be bashed for this but my son slept on his tummy since birth pretty much. He wouldn't sleep any other way. I made sure that his crib was clear of everything and he was doing a great job of lifting and moving his head after 2 weeks so I just let him. He was/is fine. he is still a tummy sleeper at 16 months. Some babies just love their tummies!

tamzinsmommy
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
My daughter was a tummy sleeper almost from day 1. I swaddled for about a week but she absolutely hated it. I noticed she always slept well on my chest on her stomach so I tried it in her crib. To this day she's still a tummy sleeper and she's 2. If you are okay with her being that way I'd just monitor her occasionally. My daughter had reflux bad and was colic so this helped her a lot.
SaimyaAndJoeJr
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM
My son is 13 days old and hes a tummy sleeper. I started off slow to see how he did while I was awake did he have good head movement and what not. He has good head movement from side to side and can lift himself up some so I felt he would be okay. Last night was his first night and he did just fine slept much better and longer than previous nights. My dd2 was the same way she slept on her tummy after her first couple of weeks. Dd1 was a side sleeper
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Both of mine were tummy sleepers. They're 5&7 now. I was and still. That was the only part of pregnancy I hated. Not being able to sleep on my stomach.
saraadria
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I was worried about this until I spoke with some older mothers who told me that all this worry about tummy sleeping is stupid.  Every baby in my family has slept that way.  My daughter was a tummy sleeper nightly and she is fine.  I was a tummy sleeper...my mother was...my grandmother was...we are all fine.

LnAsMommy
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM
My baby is a tummy sleeper too. If you are comfortable, let her! Just make sure there aren't blanketds near her face!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)