Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do your kids know how to tie their shoes?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 11 Replies

My 7-Year-Old Can't Tie His Shoes, But That's What Velcro Is For

by Mary Fischer

kid tying shoes

Ok, so I have a bit of a shameful confession to make, which is hypocritical to say because I honestly don't feel ashamed about it at all. (Or at least not all that much.)

Here goes nothing -- my 7-year-old son doesn't know how to tie his shoes, and frankly, I don't give a damn. Sure, I tried to teach him about a year ago. I went out and got him a traditional pair of lace-up sneakers, figuring it wouldn't take too terribly long for him to get the hang of things.

But then after about the umpteenth time of him coming home from school with them untied, and complaints about the teacher not having time to help him tie them at school -- I gave up and went back to his velcro kicks and haven't looked back since.

And even though in the back of my brain I fully realize that he needs to learn to tie his shoes because he's a second grader, the more I think about it, I really just don't see the point in teaching him -- because I'm not 100 percent convinced it's a skill he'll ever really need.

Here's the thing -- there are so many shoes on the market these days that don't require any sort of tying at all. From velcro, to slip on, to those little bungee tie laces you can get to put on any pair of footwear -- there are plenty of ways to skirt around having to drill the "bunny runs around the tree and jumps in a hole" bit into his brain.

And as time goes on, somehow I'm guessing shoe styles are only going to evolve even futher to cater to parents who are sick and tired of worrying about their kids tripping over their untied laces, so what if I spend hours teaching him now, and he never actually has to tie a shoe for the rest of his life? (He and I both have better things to do.)

I mean, by the time he's my age, he'll probably be able to magically tie his shoes with one tap on his iPhone. I can just picture him looking at me like I'm some sort of outdated old lady and saying, "Mom, people stopped having to tie their own shoes a long time ago. There's an app for that."

Sigh. We'll see -- maybe one of these days I'll break down and insist that he learn to tie his shoes just for the sake of being able to say my kid knows how to tie his darn shoes. 

But that can wait until he's at least eight or nine or so.

Do your kids know how to tie their shoes?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM
My 7 yr old can, but not tight enough so they come untied lol...at least she tries.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM
No they don't.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM

No not yet

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Not yet, she is 13 months. But I think I knew how to when I was 7? I don't remember.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
7 year old, yes, since age 4.

2 year old, no.
fightgirl038
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My almost 7 does not but she is trying to learn as we speak. We have been trying for a few months but I know it can be challenging. she does have both velcore and a pair of tie tennis shoes.

HaileysMom07180
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

my 7 year old can tie her shoes but not very tight.  she will usually do her own, then come ask me to retie them because she knows its important to practice

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My 7 & 8 year olds are just starting to get the hang of it. They can do it but it isn't very tight and sometimes falls out. 

kiwiskiwi29
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My 6 year old still can't. I know so bad but we barely started putting him in shoes that weren't Velcro.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM

No not yet. My daughter's preschool actually told us not to buy tie shoes for her. Idk why but we did what we was told. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN