Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you let your children go trick or treating?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 30 Replies

I want to take my SD this year, as I didn't get to last year. But my MIL is making a big deal out of it, saying I'm corrupting her and will probably turn her into a devil worshipper before she's 20.

I was never allowed to go as a child, as I was raised by a Christian mother.  I was 15 when I walked around with friends for the first time.
I personally see nothing wrong with dressing her up, and letting her get some candy. It's just for fun, its not like I'm doing a satanic ritual or anything.

Do you let your children go out on Halloween?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Yes. We have since they could walk and say trick or treat.
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

yep hes gone out every year so far

Callaly
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I went unil I was about 14 or 15 years old, and DD went out last year for the first time, she will be 4 this year and will be going again until she doesn't want to

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Yes, my kids go every year. Except last year because their dad is dumb (he had the kids for halloween and all of his plans fell through so instead of calling me, he stopped at safeway and bought a bag of candy for them instead of taking them trick or treating).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM
We go every year! :)
geekymom08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM
We take our son. I went as a kid and I'm pretty normal...
FoxTales
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
We are a Christian household and see nothing wrong with it. I won't let my kids dress up as demons or witches etc... I did once and felt uncomfortable with it. But there are such few opportunities to just dress up and have fun - so we have lots of fun with it. I have friends who feel convicted by it and they don't let their kids go, but they buy candy on half off sales the next day, dress up and carve pumpkins with fall themes. I think it is all on your conscience. If you feel comfortable with it, then go for it. But don't waver back and forth like my mom did, going "oh, I don't know, I just don't like the holiday..." and then let us go anyway cause she did the year before. She did that every year and it just sent mixed messages. So I'm taking a solid stance on it saying that yes it has unpleasant origins, but we don't celebrate that part of it. Easter also has pagan origins, but do we talk about that? So anyway, all that to say that Im very excited to take my little ones out this year. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaylorMom814
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM
My LO is only 3 months so we won't go this year :) but I can't wait to take her next year! We are also a Christian home but I see nothing wrong with it. It's just for fun! I went as a kid and I turned out okay!
roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

We were going to take our daughter out last year but Trick or Treating was cancelled due to heavy snow. This year DD1 is going to be a pirate and DD2 is going to be an angry bird.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Yes, of course. It's so fun for kids!

I think the religious excuse not to go is nuts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)