Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Scammed out of H.S. Diploma/GED ?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

So I just found out (8 years later) that the school I finished online H.S. through is not legit and scammed a ton of ppl. That means I don't have a diploma! I am pissed off right now but more or less need to work on getting my GED so i have something. I am 24 and have been staying at home for the past couple years so really have had to put much into thinking. Just wondering for anyone that has taken the GED if it's harder than H.S. Also if you did, did you pass the first time, and can I get some info on what books are the best to study with?

BTW: Sorry for any misspelling only living off 2 hours of sleep :( Edit: For anyone that wants to call me stupid for thinking I can do H.S. online, The local college in my area referred me there!

Update #1: I have been studying and took a GED class offered by a college in our area. I get to take the test within the next 2 weeks, I just have to figure out a day that I can get a babysitter.

Update #2 I am going tomorrow to take the test wish me luck!

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cLanief
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Most online shit is a scam unless its through an actual accredited school and still then they may not be transferable through different states.

Ged is super simple, i dropped out in 11th grade and got my ged a year later. Science stuff I learned from the magic school bus and find a ged book. Definitely brush up on math.
Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I know it is, but I was reffered from the local college to that site. It's a pretty crazy situation. I am in college level for all subjects except math which is like an 8th grade level :(. I went and took a pretest yesterday for the GED just to see where I was. Im just afraid the test wont be anything like the pretest I took.

Quoting cLanief:

Most online shit is a scam unless its through an actual accredited school and still then they may not be transferable through different states.

Ged is super simple, i dropped out in 11th grade and got my ged a year later. Science stuff I learned from the magic school bus and find a ged book. Definitely brush up on math.

cLanief
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM
They are pretty much the same. Get it done and good luck.

Quoting Indy3000:

I know it is, but I was reffered from the local college to that site. It's a pretty crazy situation. I am in college level for all subjects except math which is like an 8th grade level :(. I went and took a pretest yesterday for the GED just to see where I was. Im just afraid the test wont be anything like the pretest I took.

Quoting cLanief:

Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thank you :) Gonna work on my math hopefully all goes well.

Quoting cLanief:

Quoting Indy3000:

Quoting cLanief:

cLanief
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
My bad spot was math too but after brushing up on what I didn't understand from the pretest it was a breeze.

Quoting Indy3000:

Thank you :) Gonna work on my math hopefully all goes well.

Quoting cLanief:

Quoting Indy3000:

Quoting cLanief:

Roxygurl
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Op from what I hear the GED is a lot harder than actual high school. There are practice tests online and I'd look at taking that to refresh your memory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxyLynn4
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Make sure you pass the test before the year is over. By 2014 there will be a new test that'll be harder than the current one that's been used since I think the 90's.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Right now I am also studying for the GED. I have taken it like maybe 3 times and failed the Math part all three times. :( They have a book on Amazon if you want to get that. :)

Indy3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I looked on amazon, is there a specific one you would recommend? Math is my worst subject too!

Quoting mama2b100808:

Right now I am also studying for the GED. I have taken it like maybe 3 times and failed the Math part all three times. :( They have a book on Amazon if you want to get that. :)

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-GED-Preparation-Ellen-Northcutt/dp/0739828371/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1381433830&sr=8-9&keywords=GED+book

That is the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-GED-Preparation-STECK-VAUGHN/dp/141905399X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381433830&sr=8-1&keywords=GED+book

that one might be good too.

Quoting Indy3000:

I looked on amazon, is there a specific one you would recommend? Math is my worst subject too!

Quoting mama2b100808:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)