Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Can anyone offer any advice?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter is 18 months old, and she's my only child. I know I need to start potty training soon, but is 18 months too soon? Can anyone offer any advice on how to go about starting her with potty training? It would be very much appreciated!

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STLEMD0412
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Anyone got anything, anything at all? lol

FoxTales
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I've not got much, but you might try getting her a potty and just introducing it. Put it out for her, let her get familiar with it. Put her on it before naps and bedtime... There is also the 3 day training method if she is ready...but i have not yet succeeded training my 2 year old boy who shows very little interest ... So i don't have much advice that has been super successful for us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STLEMD0412
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM

What is the 3 day training method? I've never heard of it. I think I'm going to go get her a little princess potty next week lol I've seen some that like sing and play music, so I'm sure she'll be interested in that. How long have you been trying with your son?

Quoting FoxTales:

I've not got much, but you might try getting her a potty and just introducing it. Put it out for her, let her get familiar with it. Put her on it before naps and bedtime... There is also the 3 day training method if she is ready...but i have not yet succeeded training my 2 year old boy who shows very little interest ... So i don't have much advice that has been super successful for us!

Dragon.Momma86
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM
My lil man started taking interest at 16 months ago we bought a potty Ahmed let him go. Well after two weeks he decided it wasn't cool anymore lol so we're since stopped. But at twenty months we plan to start again
FoxTales
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Basically they go bottomless for three days and you put them on the potty every 10-15 min until the have a success, then gradually extend the times... Look it up online :) my son had success at 10 months old, regressed, had some more success, then I had a new baby and he is dead set against it. So we are giving him some time. Boys train later than girls as a general rule

Quoting STLEMD0412:

What is the 3 day training method? I've never heard of it. I think I'm going to go get her a little princess potty next week lol I've seen some that like sing and play music, so I'm sure she'll be interested in that. How long have you been trying with your son?

Quoting FoxTales:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abcortez
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:21 AM

my daughter was 19 months when she showed interest in the potty.   it worked great while she was with me, but with others including daddy she would not use the potty. at 24 months she got it with everyone. what worked for me was that she hated being dirty so i put undies on her if she peed herself she would cry. so to prevent that she would run to the potty.

STLEMD0412
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:19 AM

That's along the same lines as what my sister did with her kids too. I've just had mixed responses from family and friends that I should start now, or that it's too early to start trying to potty train her. And since kids don't come out with nifty little instruction manuals lol I was just wondering what other moms tried. I'm going to go buy her a little potty and see how interested she is in it and go from there I guess. Thanks for the input!

Quoting abcortez:

my daughter was 19 months when she showed interest in the potty.   it worked great while she was with me, but with others including daddy she would not use the potty. at 24 months she got it with everyone. what worked for me was that she hated being dirty so i put undies on her if she peed herself she would cry. so to prevent that she would run to the potty.

STLEMD0412
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM

I'm going to go out and buy her one of the little potties and see how interested she is in it and go from there. I'm also going to look up this 3 day method. Thank you for the input!

Quoting FoxTales:

Basically they go bottomless for three days and you put them on the potty every 10-15 min until the have a success, then gradually extend the times... Look it up online :) my son had success at 10 months old, regressed, had some more success, then I had a new baby and he is dead set against it. So we are giving him some time. Boys train later than girls as a general rule

Quoting STLEMD0412:

Quoting FoxTales:

STLEMD0412
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:22 AM

lol I hope if my daughter does take an interest in the potty once I get it she doesn't change her mind like that. Good luck with him though and thank you for the input!

Quoting Dragon.Momma86:

My lil man started taking interest at 16 months ago we bought a potty Ahmed let him go. Well after two weeks he decided it wasn't cool anymore lol so we're since stopped. But at twenty months we plan to start again

tiagosmommy
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM
There are signs to look for that'll mean your baby Is ready to be trained.

Quoting STLEMD0412:

My daughter is 18 months old, and she's my only child. I know I need to start potty training soon, but is 18 months too soon? Can anyone offer any advice on how to go about starting her with potty training? It would be very much appreciated!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)