Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Are you ever guilty of smartphone-induced oblivion?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

Man Killed on Busy Train but Commuters Were Too Busy Texting to Notice

by Jenny Erikson

Oy vey. As an iPhone addict, I usually roll my eyes when I hear someone complaining about how too many people are missing out on life by keeping their eyes glued to their screens. But in one case, a life may have been saved had a few people been paying attention to their surroundings instead of playing Candy Crush.

On a crowded commuter train in San Francisco last month, a man was caught on a surveillance camera waving a gun around several times, before randomly shooting and killing a university student.

Security footage clearly shows the man pulling out the .45-caliber pistol several times before firing it. He pointed it at someone before deciding on a different victim, and even wiped his nose with the same hand that was holding it.

No one noticed. They were too engrossed with their smartphones and tablets. District Attorney George Gascon commented, “These weren’t concealed movements -- the gun is very clear ... these people are in very close proximity with him, and nobody sees this. They're just so engrossed, texting and reading and whatnot. They're completely oblivious of their surroundings."

Nikhom Thephakaysone, 30, who has pleaded not guilty to charges including the murder of Justin Valdez, a 20-year-old San Francisco State University student, was also allegedly in possession of $20,000 in cash when he was arrested. Police say they seized two rifles, combat knives, and razors from his home.

Did you catch that? A random (probably crazy) guy waved a semi-automatic assault weapon on a crowded commuter train, and fools be too busy with their gadgets to notice.

Police officials say that this hyper focus on electronics can also leave people vulnerable to theft. Police Chief Greg Suhr said, "Oftentimes when you interview people who get their phones stolen, when you ask them to describe where the person came from, what he was wearing, they have no idea.”

Ok, it’s one thing to multitask, but it’s not multitasking if you’re singularly focused on your phone. I’m not saying you shouldn’t take the time on your mass-transit commute to catch up on some email, check Facebook, or whatever it is you’re doing over there ... but try to pay attention to your surroundings too.

It just might save your life.

Are you ever guilty of smartphone-induced oblivion?

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luvmybug
by Amanda on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This is me most of the time. Lol. SO guilty. Unless I have my dd, then I'm doing things with her. :)
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

SOMETIMES I am like this, but not to the extent that I wouldn't notice someone being killed or even pulling out a gun for that matter. I'm not usually on my phone in public because I like to watch my surroundings. This is CRAZY that people seriously didn't notice someone being killed right in front of them... Just wow.

Rotorkitty
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We were completely like zombies with our smartphones. That my fiancé and I were becoming complete strangers. I said to hell with that, killed our plan, and went we got 20 dollar phones at Walmart, old flip phone style with horrendous Internet capability, and now when we go out or do anything we have real conversations and are actually there for one another. 

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Same.

Quoting k9l1c5:

SOMETIMES I am like this, but not to the extent that I wouldn't notice someone being killed or even pulling out a gun for that matter. I'm not usually on my phone in public because I like to watch my surroundings. This is CRAZY that people seriously didn't notice someone being killed right in front of them... Just wow.

Chloesmom2004
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I am sometimes. I work with the public. Soooooo annoying when you're trying to help someone and they're either zoned out on their phone or talking away and being completely rude. Put you phone down for 3 damn minutes
MrS.GiFFord
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

no it gets boring!

tikirose91
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I am a CafeMom zombie, which does not affect whether I would see my surroundings or not.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Not at all. I barely ever use mine, I hate them lol. It is hard to think of a train with several people and nobody noticed. Very sad.

BeAmour
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Not as much anymore but I can assure you, I would have noticed and I bet everyone else noticed, too.

They just didn't want to catch the eye of the guy and possibly be killed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)