Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

5 Weird Ways to (Almost) Instantly Get Rid of a Zit

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 3 Replies

5 Weird Ways to (Almost) Instantly Get Rid of a Zit

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

zitFew things can deflate confidence more than waking up with a big ol' honkin' zit. I know. The word is even gross. It's the ultimate killjoy. And the worst part of all is, it's not like blemishes just magically disappear in an hour! We have to live with them for a few days. And it sucks.

But. There actually are a few ways to drastically reduce the life of a pimple -- to a day, or possibly even ... an hour. Yes, I'm being serious.

Here are five weird ways to banish a blemish (almost) instantly.

1. Eye Drops

Eye drops that "get the red out" of your peepers can actually do the same for zits. Put a few drops onto a Q-tip (or skin directly if you're agile) and dab. Bonus: The drops will also help dry the zit out.

2. Hot & Cold

I think I read this tip in Seventeen magazine when I was in junior high, but it works. First, take a hot (really hot) wash cloth and press down on the affected area; then place an ice cube on skin. Alternate between hot and cold a few times, and repeat the process once or twice more during the day. It significantly reduces the life of a pimple.

3. Toothpaste

Try treating blemishes with toothpaste instead of the stinky, flaky creams sold at drugstores. Toothpaste has silica, which is a drying agent found in bags of beef jerky (I know, lovely), and it can help clear things up quicker than a traditional cream.

4. Try a Natural Antihistamine

Antihistamines (you know, like Benadryl) reduce swelling, which is exactly what a zit is. Instead of ingesting something in pill-form, try applying a natural antihistamine, like basil, directly to the skin. Steam a few sprigs and then place over the affected area.

5. Cortisone Shot

If you wake up with a zit on the day of a big event, like a wedding, it's time to break out the big guns. Dermatologists can administer something called a cortisone shot, which makes zits disappear immediately (yes, immediately). Cortisone shots don't cost much and they don't hurt, so if you really want to get rid of a pimple, it's definitely worth it.

Do you know of any other quick fixes for zits?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Hmm, interesting. I don't think I have ever used these methods... maybe toothpaste, but I think I have used that more for bee stings. I think getting a cortisone shot is going a little too far, it's just a zit LOL.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Interesting! I rarely get pimples so when I do I let them run their course.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Something that I have used before that works really well for zits though is tea tree oil.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN