Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Holiday traditions

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

What are your holiday traditions? Do you go black friday shopping every year? Do you always buy something for kids on the Angel Tree? Volunteer at Soup Kitchens? Etc.

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
We go black friday shopping every year (because were crazy!). While out shopping we always have the rule that each person shopping has to buy a toy (a cool one) to donate to toys' for' tots that night.

And every year we pick names off a tree for families in a local town. I prefer it over the angel tree because they are much more specific and list several items, including clothes and needs. We hit sales and get every kid something they want, something to wear(usually a whole outfit including sweaters) and something they need. My moms work also get involved so it ends up being that each kid (we usually get between 8-10) gets pretty nice stuff.

We also buy about $100 worth of toys and donate them to our local food bank who does a toy drive. Last year I hit a crazy sale at toys' r'us and got over $300 worth of items for $120.

Although we are not rich, giving is important to me and a lesson I want my kids to understand. Several years ago, I was a single mom and Christmas was tight. I was lucky enough to have family that really helped me out but I know so many people aren't that lucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We always mail our Santa letters at Macy's, because for every letter they receive, they donate a dollar to make-a-wish.

I will take my kids to toys r us, and let them each pick out a toy to donate to toys for tots.

When they are older, we will volunteer at a soup kitchen. You need to be 12.

We also go to Hershey Park Candy Lane every year!

I used to be obsessed with Black Friday. I've been interviewed on the news a few times for being first in line. I even went one year 6 hours before giving birth.

I no longer go. I do not like that stores are opening on thanksgiving. If the crazies (myself included) want to sit out in the cold on thanksgiving, that's their choice. But I don't think store employees should have to give up their family time on thanksgiving for us.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I do Black Friday shopping and dh stays with the kids.

We are huge on decorating.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

We go black friday shopping every year too :). My mom and sister and I go and sometimes we will bring a friend or two but they don't always come with us every year. I LOVE your rule of buying something to donate for toys for tots! That is a really great idea, I might steal it. And I love the local tree too, I wonder if my area has a local one like that and where I would find out about it. We usually try to do the angel tree but I think I would like to do a local one like this even more. That is great that you want to teach this to your kids! We love to give too and we are no where near rich. I feel like giving can make you "rich" though ;).

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

We go black friday shopping every year (because were crazy!). While out shopping we always have the rule that each person shopping has to buy a toy (a cool one) to donate to toys' for' tots that night.

And every year we pick names off a tree for families in a local town. I prefer it over the angel tree because they are much more specific and list several items, including clothes and needs. We hit sales and get every kid something they want, something to wear(usually a whole outfit including sweaters) and something they need. My moms work also get involved so it ends up being that each kid (we usually get between 8-10) gets pretty nice stuff.

We also buy about $100 worth of toys and donate them to our local food bank who does a toy drive. Last year I hit a crazy sale at toys' r'us and got over $300 worth of items for $120.

Although we are not rich, giving is important to me and a lesson I want my kids to understand. Several years ago, I was a single mom and Christmas was tight. I was lucky enough to have family that really helped me out but I know so many people aren't that lucky.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We do the Santa letter at Macy's too. I love that program! We did it even before I had dd lol and my sister and I were just teenagers. I didn't realize you had to be 12 to volunteer at the soup kitchen, but I want to do that with dd when she is older too. I did that in High School for Thanksgiving one year and it was such a great experience! I would love to do it around Christmas time.

LOL you are one of "those" crazy Black Friday ladies Or a retired one anyway hahah. My mom, sister and I go every year too but we don't shop on Thanksgiving for those stores that are starting to open on T-Day too. We don't agree with it either and it is called black FRIDAY for a reason, not Thursday. We wake up around 2 in the morning every year and go over to get in line at Boscov's and go from there, nothing tooo crazy :P.

Quoting Courtney610:

We always mail our Santa letters at Macy's, because for every letter they receive, they donate a dollar to make-a-wish.

I will take my kids to toys r us, and let them each pick out a toy to donate to toys for tots.

When they are older, we will volunteer at a soup kitchen. You need to be 12.

We also go to Hershey Park Candy Lane every year!

I used to be obsessed with Black Friday. I've been interviewed on the news a few times for being first in line. I even went one year 6 hours before giving birth.

I no longer go. I do not like that stores are opening on thanksgiving. If the crazies (myself included) want to sit out in the cold on thanksgiving, that's their choice. But I don't think store employees should have to give up their family time on thanksgiving for us.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

We do the black friday shopping too :). I absolutely love it. I know I'm crazy haha. We actually don't decorate that much, but we do get a tree and decorate that. We put a couple of lighted figures out in the yard, like a snowman and a reindeer but that's about it.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I do Black Friday shopping and dh stays with the kids.

We are huge on decorating.

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Our local towns (small towns) do trees for teens and the elderly (who we also adopt a few of) at the local community center and senior center. You could check there.

Quoting k9l1c5:

We go black friday shopping every year too :). My mom and sister and I go and sometimes we will bring a friend or two but they don't always come with us every year. I LOVE your rule of buying something to donate for toys for tots! That is a really great idea, I might steal it. And I love the local tree too, I wonder if my area has a local one like that and where I would find out about it. We usually try to do the angel tree but I think I would like to do a local one like this even more. That is great that you want to teach this to your kids! We love to give too and we are no where near rich. I feel like giving can make you "rich" though ;).

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Thank you, I will look there! My mom also recently started working for the county as a temp so maybe she can find out about one too.

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

Our local towns (small towns) do trees for teens and the elderly (who we also adopt a few of) at the local community center and senior center. You could check there.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

LadyGlick
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We always go through the toys in the childrens room and sell them at a local consignment store. Then my children use that money to choose child off the angel tree. I have always covered any extra cost, but last year my oldest chose (her own idea) to use the money from her piggy bank because she didn't make enough from the consignment. This year she has asked to simply donate the toys to local shelters and do extra chores to make extra money for her angel tree gift. I am so proud of her.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Aww that is great that she has this mindset of giving! Great job mom :).

Quoting LadyGlick:

We always go through the toys in the childrens room and sell them at a local consignment store. Then my children use that money to choose child off the angel tree. I have always covered any extra cost, but last year my oldest chose (her own idea) to use the money from her piggy bank because she didn't make enough from the consignment. This year she has asked to simply donate the toys to local shelters and do extra chores to make extra money for her angel tree gift. I am so proud of her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)