Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Back 2 School

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi! This is my first time posting in this group. I need some advice on going back to school. I'm 25 and I don't have my hs diploma (please don't judge). I feel horrible because I really want to go to college. I can't get my GED because I work and where I live there are no night classes/schools. I tried getting my diploma through a private school when I was 19..long story short I found out it was a fake the school would not accept it. I desperately want to go to college and have a degree for myself and my children. Does anyone know what I can do? Any legit schools who offer diploma programs? I just feel like I've hit a dead end I don't want to give up on it please tell me there's hope...
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM
You don't have to take classes to get a GED. Just show up to take the test for the day or a few hours. At least that's how it is here. I wouldn't risk the time or money to try for an online HS diploma. I believe there are free practice GED tests online. The test is really easy.
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM

You have talked to all the high schools in your area?  The courthouse may have resources for adults to gain their GED.  Some colleges have online GED courses.

Simply_Lola
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM

You don't have to take classes unless you feel you need to. If so, most technical (trade) schools offer them as well as high schools. I wish you well on your journey, good luck.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM

You can study for the ged at home or work. You don't have to take classes if you don't want to. You just find out where the test is being taking at and you pay to take it which I have heard if you are a walk in it will be 120 bucks but that might be different is other states.

Trust me this is what I am doing myself.

purple-vanity
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I know I don't have to take classes what I meant was the testing is only offered during the day. I work during the day so I'm not able to do that

Quoting mama2b100808:

You can study for the ged at home or work. You don't have to take classes if you don't want to. You just find out where the test is being taking at and you pay to take it which I have heard if you are a walk in it will be 120 bucks but that might be different is other states.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Yes that I know of they only give the test during the day.

Quoting purple-vanity:

I know I don't have to take classes what I meant was the testing is only offered during the day. I work during the day so I'm not able to do that

Quoting mama2b100808:

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM
It would be worth it to take a day off to take the GED test.

After that, you can look into local college classes.
fightgirl038
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I would find out when the testing is being done, and then take that day off and go get it done. Or at least take a half day depending on your situation. 

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
This is what I would do too. Especially before the end of the year where the GED program is changing and will be a more difficult test.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. It will be totally worth it to take the day off. It will be better in the long run. GL!

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN