Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

High-Tech Grocery Store Cameras Will Spy On You While You Shop - cool or creepy?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 5 Replies

High-Tech Grocery Store Cameras Will Spy On You While You Shop

by Jenny Erikson

Because nothing is private anymore, and everything must be tracked and databased these days, some grocery store shelves will be going high-tech in 2015. Yes, the shelves. No cool new refrigeration devices, no whole-cart barcode scanners … the shelves.

The techie shelves will be fitted with built-in cameras, and will watch us while we shop to get intelligence. It will track things like age and sex, and what kind of products you buy, before it eats your soul.

Just kidding about that last part -- I think. The stated purpose from Mondelez, the company that owns some pretty big name brands like Chips Ahoy, Nabisco, and Ritz, is to “build a data-base of basic information about grocery store customers like age and sex, so it can better market its products.”

It still sounds weird, but don’t pass me a tinfoil hat before I find out if this will get me discounts on snack foods. I’m down with the coupons, even if it means creepy cameras will be watching me shop. Who’s going to be monitoring that footage anyway?

Do grocery store shelf video cameras sound cool or creepy?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sumannie
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I think it is a creepy idea for them to do that. I understand what they are trying to do and all but I don't think that I would comfortable with anyone spying on me shopping. On the plus side, they might catch thieves.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Creepy. I can see why they would use them though.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

It's somewhat creepy but I can understand why they would want the info. To try and figure out what people are buying which products. I just would hope none of the info is shared.

Ryanswifey42012
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM
It's kinda creepy. Not sure if I like the idea.
MariaShantel
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

It's really hard to say wheither its creepy or not because consumers are trying to find out what customers want. But me myself I'm some what of a private person. It's bad enough the cashier sees all of what you are buying and looks at you with a weird facial expression because of a certain item you are purchasing. I know prefer self check out. Honestly I think its not a great idea...just leave things the way they are...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)