Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you ever throw a wedding for yourself?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Single Woman Throws Herself a Wedding & Ends Up With a Groom

by Jenny Erikson 

Mary-Anne was freaked out about turning 30 without a ring on her finger, so in order to accept her single-status and embrace her independence she decided to throw herself a fake wedding. Well, a real wedding, but with a fake marriage, as she was marrying herself!

According to her wedding planner Sarah McCawley, Mary-Anne rented out a five-star venue in Melbourne, and invited about 100 guests. She said, "She had the dress and the veil. All of the guests brought gifts. She had the big cake but on the cake she just had a bride figurine. It was everything except the actual ceremony."

Described as “bubbly,” the bride entered the scene on a horse-drawn carriage, proudly sat at the head table, and even had photos done with her bridal party. She knew it sounded crazy, but she thought it was a great theme for a 30th birthday party. Her friends and family were totally supportive, and got into it right alongside her. McCawley said, “It was one of the most fun weddings I’ve ever done.”

The invitations were adorable, proclaiming that even though her “knight in shining armor hadn’t arrived,” she was going to have a wedding anyway.

The event itself was fantastic, but what happened next is even sweeter. A coworker and guest at the party had had a crush on Mary-Anne for years, but didn’t know she even thought about marriage and settling down.

When it was time for the bridal waltz, he came clonking in wearing a full suit of armor, and got down on his knee in front of her. He pulled back the visor, and said, “I’ve loved you forever. Would you consider going out with me?”

She must’ve said yes, because the couple got married exactly one year later.

So sweet! I admit that the whole throwing a wedding for yourself thing sounded odd at first, but it sounds like it was just a perfect celebration of life as it is, and expression of self-confidence. Plus she found her knight after all.

Congrats to the happy couple!

Would you ever throw a wedding for yourself?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MariaShantel
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yes! Seems like thats what I'm  going to have to do lol

Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Would I do that? No. But I've also been married for a few weeks shy of 10 years.
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM

It's an interesting idea for a themed birthday party. If you were going to go over-the-top for your birthday anyway, it could be a fun way to go. I kind of see it as a waste of money, but I'm not into big parties or party planning.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do that, no. But that is really sweet that her knight in shining armor appeared :).

christen392
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM
No
esox
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Wonder if the bride and her Knight rear registered for gifts and had an over the top wedding for the real deal.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Sure why not lol

littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I wouldn't.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
No. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)