Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 20 month old won't let me cut his nails anymore :(

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ever since he was born I've been cutting his nails and toe nails. Now, all the sudden he throws such huge fits and I don't understand why ! I'm very gentle with him and we've never had a problem until now. Like it literally just starting happening. I'm the only one who cuts his nails so I know nobody else has hurt him or anything. I don't even cut his nails that often because they're so soft and tear on their own. But occasionally I do cut them because they obviously grow. Has anyone else had trouble with this and what have you done to make nail cutting easier ?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
snowmommy0406
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Do it while he's asleep, my ds is so active that it's safest for me to do it that way.
Butterfly_xo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Good idea lol

Quoting snowmommy0406:

Do it while he's asleep, my ds is so active that it's safest for me to do it that way.

Pandapanda
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM
I agree with the idea of doing it while he's asleep. Maybe it's just a control think for him? I have a 22mo daughter and she goes hrough phases where she just can't let me do the usual things for her. Sometimes she wants to do thigs herself, sometimes she just doesn't want to do anything.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

It works wonders to wait until they're asleep.

MamaLioness2012
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My 21 month old typically doesn't like his nails being cut. Sometimes he's good about it, in fact he's gotten a lot better about it recently but when it was really bad and he would thrash around (and sleeping didn't work for me because he would wake up or pull his hands/feet away in his sleep...he doesn't like being touched while he sleeps) I would use the same trick I would use on my cats and wrap him up in a towel roly poly canolli style (obviously with a hand or foot sticking out), lay him on the couch and rest one arm across him to keep him still(ish) and the other hand wrapped around for added security and to clip. It's an ordeal here. When it gets bad lately though I wait till he's in his high chair to do his toes, or bedtime to do his fingers since he's sleepy and snuggly at that time and cooperates better because he wants me to be done so he can go to bed.

littlecheifsmom
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:48 AM
Wait until in a deep sleep
littleminou
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I have the same problem.  My 14 month old son will scream and cry and pull his hands and feet away.  I try distracting him with toys but it never works.  He`s a light sleep, I`ll open his bedroom door and it wakes him up.  I get DH to hold him down while I try to cut his nails as fast as possible.  I'm hoping as he gets older he'll grow out of it and realise it's not going to hurt him.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Yes doing while sleeping great idea but I always just bite the off
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)