Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you or would you buy secondhand furniture?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 21 Replies
I personally prefer new. I would never buy a bed used, I just don't trust used mattresses. Hotels even weird me out..
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistyMoo
by Amber on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Couches and soft chairs like lazy boys, unless I know who and where it came from, no. Beds, no. I'll buy new.. Or suffer with what I've got until I can afford new.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Nope.

Our furniture isn't expensive, some is from Ikea, but I'm too germ paranoid for used.
puka2025
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on what it is...

TS9509
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I have purchased tables, shelves, hard wood chairs without "padding", and  dressers used and repurposed them and refinished them and sold them. I wouldn't purchase anything like sitting chairs, a couch or mattress used. 

katvixenstar
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM

we have been given most of our furniture by friends/family. i am not scared of germs, and i appreciate used furniture that still has some life in it. :)

GwenGray
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I won't with a bed, but all others I will. Let me change that, beds maybe if it came from someone I knew overly well. 

goddiddlyumshis
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Noooooo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pumpkin1423
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I have a strict rule about secondhand goods. If it has fabric or stuffing...it can carry bed bugs and I am not bringing it into my house. Before becoming a SAHM, I was a property manager and I can't tell you how many times I had to get units treated for bed bugs. Tenants would SWEAR they don't know how they got them. Typically I almost always got a yes to either one of these questions:

Have you stayed in a hotel in the last 30 days?

Have you brought second hand furniture, clothes, or mattresses into your home?

Josie_P
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Nope.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We had a bunch of hand-me-down furniture from family when we first moved into our house as newlyweds four years ago. We have replaced some of it with new furniture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)