Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice about child support.

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 6 Replies
So I'm 21, and a single parent to a 10 month old that I have been raising by myself. I have no contact with the father I haven't spoke to him in 9 months (for very good reasons) and I have recently been thinking about going after him for child support. I don't think it's right that I'm the only one working and supporting our child while he does God knows what. I would just like to hear what other people think about me going after him for child support. Please no negative comments, I just am looking for advice and maybe some pros and cons about child support. I do know every case is different, I'm just reaching out for help. I am just worried he will pull something crazy and try to get custody or visitation rights (which I don't want him to get at all). Please help!!
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaPeanut
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Start with your local child support enforcement agency.

They will help you get the process started. (My best friend went through this).

Remember that it will take time, and that support does not equal visitation. He may or may not want to initiate visitation with the child.

Good luck!!
kendricksmommy2
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I hope that starting this child support won't start anything with him and cause problems thats the only reason i'm hesitant to start it.

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
He could say he wants visitation, but he could say that any time and you would have to deal with that. Child support and visitation are not the same thing and are not handled the same way. I would call your local support enforcement and talk to them. Do you have any documentation of the reasons why you don't want him to have visitation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esox
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Do you want to file for support because you don't think its fair or because your son actually needs the financial assistance?
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Well if you open up the door to child support I would not be surprised if he tries for visitation.

SAHM2011
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:29 AM

The way that I look at it, the child is partially his to support financially. In his/her life or not.  If you get into child support, it can be lengthy. You may not get it right away because of the process.  Plus, at least in our state, if it goes on too far and there is more than 1000 in back child support then they will go to jail. the law is, if you go without pay for 6 months or get 1000 behind (whichever comes first), then you go to jail. Then back child support just keeps piling up on him. So, if that happens you won't see a dime of it.  As well as he has the opportunity to try to get visitations. Which depending on your circumstances, (if he's on the birth certificate or not), you may have to have a DNA test done first, then the visitations would go to court because you all aren't agreeing on anything.

I would start at your local Child support office and ask them to explain the process and how things work. If you have any questions write them down before calling them. Then if you want to proceed you will have to fill out the paper work and then they get the process started for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)